Can I drop the tummy?

(18 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 14-Jul-16 21:31:50

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm a bit clueless.

I am fairly active in terms of walking (average 60 mins/ 4km/ 6000 steps per day) - that is averaged over a fairly sedentary weekend and more active week - and am a healthy weight, in fact I've only recently got above being underweight.

So why can't I seem to shift the five month pregnant looking tummy? Is it something you have to do specific exercises for? I would blame baby weight but the baby is seven years old!

I must admit I'm not the most proactive, but I have heard people say that diet and activity is the most important thing.

Is it that I'm not as active as I assume? Or just that you have to do specific exercises to tighten particular areas and general exercise like walking doesn't do anything?

I have done the check thing for diastasis recti and pretty sure I don't have that.

carrie74 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:54:08

I think your personal body shape plays a part - I'm pretty active and slim, but have pretty much always had a small pot belly (I reckon it's my love of sugar...).

I have to say, I don't think 6000 steps/4k is very much in a day - that would be a particularly sedentary day for me at work, when I'm largely chained to the desk. I have a Fitbit and it's not too much of a challenge for me to do 10k a day, particularly on days when I'm not working. However, I don't feel that that's exercise - for me that would be a run, a bike ride, a yoga class, a weights session...

You may find doing some weights will help you to firm up - I like the Fitness Blender online videos (they're free), but if you've not done them before, it would be good just to maybe see a PT as a one off to get a programme and check your technique. I see a PT fortnightly, so am fairly confident on my technique when working at home.

Lottapianos Thu 14-Jul-16 22:04:41

I used to have a pretty substantial gut but am much trimmer now. Here's what worked for me:
- cut way back on sugar, including alcohol
- reduce carbs after 5pm
- portion control
- drink at least 2 litres if water a day

I do 80:20 with diet - keep a tight check on diet 80% of the time, 20% of the time indulge yourself

In terms of exercise, I walk 2-3 miles a day plus go to the gym 3 times a week for a mix of cross training , bike and weights. Weights have made the biggest difference to general toning up and feeling firmer

Lottapianos Thu 14-Jul-16 22:07:23

I used a DVD called 'Blast Off Belly Fat' in the beginning as well, which was brilliant for building up my core strength from zero

Believeitornot Thu 14-Jul-16 22:07:50

I do specific core exercise to help with my stomach.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Jul-16 07:50:51

I tend to do about 10k on weekdays but nothing at the weekend blush However now DH is all into this pokemon thing I suspect we'll be going out much more which might help.

I don't know if it's my body shape or not. I always had a flat tummy before DS but I had DS when I was just out of my teens, so not sure if it's mum tum or just the weight I grew into as I grew up if that makes sense.

I feel I'm getting conflicting messages about walking being exercise. Some people seem to think it's enough as long as you're doing a decent amount (which when I see my averaged out amounts, I see isn't as much as I thought) and others think it doesn't count at all. I'm not very motivated to "exercise" and I much prefer doing things that I can just work into my normal day like walking instead of taking public transport etc.

I have basically no core strength or stamina. Is that likely to be why?

I actually don't eat enough generally so I don't think dieting is a good idea for me.

Lottapianos Fri 15-Jul-16 08:18:59

Walking is decent exercise if you're moving at a good speed - the kind of speed you'd walk at if you were hurting to an appointment. You should break a sweat and be out of breath. Otherwise, it's unlikely to do much good in terms of fitness or weight loss

I had zero core strength when I started - my ab muscles had zero tone and I looked about 5 months pregnant. I really recommend the DVD I recommended upthread. It's hard, and you won't be able to do it all at first, but do what you can and keep at it. With any sort of new exercise, you have to give it at least a month of doing it 3 times a week before you see results.

Dieting is not a good idea for anyone but it may be worth thinking about what kind of nutrition you're getting from your food. Why do you feel that you don't eat enough?

BertieBotts Fri 15-Jul-16 08:24:21

Generally not very motivated by food. I tend to eat at least one good meal a day but some days not even that. It's better now I'm married as DH nags me to eat blush

I can't eat first thing so tend to skip breakfast (trying to have smoothies now to get around that issue), often just forget about lunch until it's dinnertime anyway so only eat dinner. Sometimes I'll leave it too late to eat, especially due to weird work shifts, and I'll just snack and then be too tired and just go to bed.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 15-Jul-16 08:26:00

Pilates and yoga- strengthen your core. Your core muscles aren't toned enough to hold your stomach in.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Jul-16 08:30:32

Yoga definitely seems like my style. I keep meaning to join a class.

CaitAgusMadra Fri 15-Jul-16 08:31:39

Check to see if you have diastasis recti...Michelle Kenway has a good video on YouTube. It's a split of your abdominal muscles which can happen during pregnancy and results in a sticky out tummy.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Jul-16 08:45:41

I did that and I don't think I have it. No gap.

Believeitornot Fri 15-Jul-16 13:17:40

You need to work on your core. You'll be thankful when you're older!

I started working on my core because when I run I started to feel "heavy" in the pelvic area. Much better now and didn't take long to improve.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Jul-16 13:45:16

Ok ie doke, yep, sounds like that's what I need. Thanks all!

thisgirlrides Sat 16-Jul-16 13:53:24

Running works wonders for reducing a tummy then add some with some core work for definition & strength. I like insanity classes as there's lots of focus on core strength but with a cardio workout and find 2 of each a week makes a massive difference to my appearance.

inastew Sat 06-Aug-16 16:24:27

I started running and feel tummy tightening a little.

Lottapianos "tight check on diet 80% of the time, 20% of the time indulge yourself"

- love that idea. may adopt that myself for a while

lljkk Sat 06-Aug-16 17:17:35

Some tummy is normal, imho, and healthy. Is there a metric for tums to find out if OP's is excessive? grin

KeyserSophie Fri 12-Aug-16 09:49:44

OP. if you stomach just sticks out, as opposed to having rolls, you just need to sort your core out as your abs are just bowing out.

Just do the plank or something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now