Knee support recommendations - injured after my first week!

(3 Posts)
PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 10-Jun-16 10:33:59

Hi. Well I started running and I think I got a bit carried away because I enjoyed it so much, and ended up injuring both knees after the 4th run. They didn't really hurt and didn't actually look swollen, just felt like they were really big and full and I looked a bit like a cowboy when I walked down stairs grin
So, I need to start again and take it all a bit more slowly, but I want to get knee supports just to try and prevent any more issues.

Has anyone got any recommendations? There are so many out there - one of my friends has really expensive ones but another swears by cheapy ones.

CMOTDibbler Sat 11-Jun-16 10:40:15

Knee supports (unless they are the massively expensive unloading ones) don't work. What you need to do is the boring physio exercises that strengthen the muscles round your knees, and to increase the amount you run slowly so that your body gets used to it.
You also need to think about your shoes, but most importantly be very mindful of how you run

PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 17-Jun-16 21:02:59

Sorry I never replied - thanks for your advice. Funnily enough that's exactly what my friend's trainer told her - to strengthen all the muscles around the knees first so I've started swimming and doing exercises that will build all the leg muscles.

I was also definitely doing too much too soon so I will reign it in a bit once I can start again. Good to know I'm on the right track smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now