Anyone else love the gym?

(8 Posts)
Lottapianos Thu 02-Jun-16 15:22:24

I took up running about 5 years ago and have loved the improvements to health and fitness. My longest run was 10k (not in a competition) and I'm still proud of that achievement! However, I had to kick myself out the door practically ever time and never looked forward to doing it, just to the results afterwards!

A new gym opened up really near us recently and I absolutely love it! I go to spin class twice a week and do runs on the crosstrainer and use the rower, as well as some free weights and a couple of other bits. I actually look forward to it all day on gym days (sad!). I haven't been out running for about 3 weeks, must get back into it this weekend. Ideally, I would like to do 2 runs and 2 gym visits every week but I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the gym side at the moment!

Anyone else really enjoy the gym and what do you do there?

unicornsfartrainbows Sat 04-Jun-16 19:56:21

I've done a bit of running in the past, 5, 10km and 1/2 marathons but knees trouble me esp on any runs over 45 mins. I'm reasonably fit & joined a local gym a year ago. I like going to:

Keep fitness levels up
Try different classes & workouts
Escape from my madhouse of an eve

I've a desk based job so feel lazy by the end of the day as well so an hour at the gym ticks several boxes.

I do 3 sessions a week with at least a days rest in between. I do a circuits class every mon eve, then 2 of my own sessions which are made up as follows:

10 mins hard walk on treadmill or rowing machine
25 mins weights - doing different exercises every time
15 mins on mats doing sit-ups etc, core planks and maybe some gym ball exercises which I've picked up from various instructors
10 mins final stretch

I walk out feeling tired but good. I aim to do an hour start to finish.

My only niggle is that it's gets busy on midweek eves and also, I have to either eat before (& wait 1/2 b4 going to gym) or eat after (but I am running in empty by then. My window is between 7-9.30

Hth, I'm actually doing a 10k end of sept so am planning on doing as much cross training as possible @ gym.

Enjoy!

Lottapianos Mon 06-Jun-16 07:57:59

Good for you unicorns. Sounds like a great workout. I also really enjoy the geeky feedback you get from the machines re speed, calorie burn etc. Very satisfying!

Thefitfatty Mon 06-Jun-16 08:02:33

I go to the gym about 4/5 times a week. I do a half hour run (usually about 5 km's), and then I do a full body weight training session, or kettlebell circuit. once a week I will do a 45 minute run and a 15 minute walk and no weights.

Love it. Keeps me sane. ;)

Handbag101 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:11:59

Hello. I love my gym as well plus exercise in general. I try and go at least four or five times a week - I like to get my monies worth as well.

I do a spin class once a week and then quite a few runs (up to sixty minutes) and then weights. I'm also trying to use the rowing machine a bit more. Loads of classes at my gym going on plus a swimming pool so lots of variety but i do love running. Plus my gym is super friendly.

Enjoy your gym sessions OP. Then you can feel less guilty about the booze and chocolate.

x

Lottapianos Mon 06-Jun-16 21:38:38

Booze and chocolate? You know me too well!

JamieVardysParty Tue 07-Jun-16 11:54:35

We have an amazing gym nearby which has really made me start enjoying going.

Normally I do:
10 mins cross trainer
15 mins HIIT
20 mins weights
5 mins cool down/stretch

I aim to go 3-4 times a week. On Tuesdays I also do an hour yoga class in the mornings.

Only really started this in the past couple of weeks, so hoping to really start seeing results soon.

KeyserSophie Tue 07-Jun-16 12:55:06

I love my gym- it's an independent Crossfit box, but also offers personal training and you can train independently too. No machines- just free weights (bar bells and dumbbells), KB's, bars and ropes etc. I do personal training twice a week and then one session by myself. Sometimes I do the Crossfit class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now