HIIT??

(9 Posts)
Dolallytats Sun 22-May-16 09:53:51

I am 42 years old, hugely fat and severely agoraphobic. I need to lose weight, but can barely leave the house so a DVD s the best idea (I think??) HIIT seems to be the way to go about exercising, especially as, since having DD2 nearly 3 years ago my fat lies mainly round my belly, bum and thighs and HIIT is supposed to be good for that-so I've read.

Can anyone recommend a HIIT DVD for a very unfit 17st9lb 5'2 woman with a small flat!!!

Your help is very much appreciated smile

SnookieSnooks Sun 22-May-16 15:15:18

Congratulations! You've made the first step. Just wondering if HIIT might be too intense to begin with. Have you considered anything gentler? Also, have you considered asking a personal trainer to come to your house and create you an exercise routine? I had a series of them and each one was designed precisely for me.

TheNotoriousPMT Sun 22-May-16 15:25:55

High-intensity interval training is just that, high-intensity. I would not recommend it to someone who's just starting out on their exercise career.
What is really important at this point is
A) enjoying it
B) getting into the habit, so it feels normal to exercise and weird not to
C) avoiding injury

Start with a couple of beginners' DVDs, five minutes a day. If that's OK after a couple of weeks, up it to ten minutes a day.

Once you get to twenty minutes or so, take three or four rest days a week. Your body needs time to heal and rebuild itself stronger.

Take it easy, because if you don't you're very likely to injure yourself and then you won't be able to exercise at all.

A nice personal trainer sounds like a great idea; they'll be able to build you a programme that works with your body and your flat.

SnookieSnooks Sun 22-May-16 15:33:30

Good advice from Notorius...

PS hope we're not putting you off here OP. I am seriously supportive

CiderwithBuda Sun 22-May-16 15:43:48

I agree HIIT might be too much for you at this stage.

I read an article recently about someone who lost lots of weight by marching on the spot n front of the TV. You could start slowly.

Or have a look on Pinterest for pins on excercise for plus size or low impact workouts. There is lots there - I've pinned a few myself. Also try some yoga poses. It will all help.

RunnerOnTheRun Sun 22-May-16 18:11:47

You've had some great advice here.

Your best bet is to put all this lovely positivity and motivation in to your nutrition and low impact exercise if you can, this will save your joints and be very very good for you.

Dolallytats Sun 22-May-16 22:14:47

Thank you everyone!! You have given me some things to think about. I read a thread before I started this one where personal training sessions had been booked. It did make me think if this could be something I could do. I'm glad you all think it could be possible too. I will do some research.

I do have some exercise DVD's already, so will crack them open again and see which one I can manage until I can build up some strength and stamina.

I hadn't thought of walking on the spot....I always feel like I should be leaping about for it to be doing any good!!! Of course it makes sense that walking on the spot is better than sitting on the sofa smile

And don't worry, no-one has put me off, you've given me good ideas and been lovely about it too-thank you!! smile

SnookieSnooks Mon 23-May-16 15:05:15

Good luck.... Let us know how you get on.

Monkeyinshoes Mon 30-May-16 00:34:56

For making walking on the spot more interesting, I've heard good things about this lady...she makes walk at home vids and has a Youtube channel here

Leslie Sansone Walk at Home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now