Just eaten a tonne of food after exercising

(11 Posts)
katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 14-May-16 13:41:05

hmm Cross with myself.

How do you stop feeling like you want to eat your own arm after exercise?

lljkk Sat 14-May-16 14:31:49

Supposedly eating protein very soon after exercise helps to build muscle.

Just trying to see plus points. I can't help you because exercise makes me lose appetite.

Spam88 Sat 14-May-16 16:47:50

I'm like lljkk - I'm too busy feeling sick from the exertion to eat anything. It's the nights off from exercising that I stuff my face.

On the plus side, you've just exercised, so you can feel far less guilt about what you'd eaten. If you know you're going to want to eat something afterwards, then it would probably be sensible to get some snacks in specifically for this purpose. that way you can make sure they're healthy choices rather than just grabbing whatever happens to be available when the hunger hits.

Princesspeach1980 Sat 14-May-16 17:22:16

I'm the same, I go to the gym, come home and spend the rest of the day either starving or grazing on crap.

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 14-May-16 17:38:27

What did you do?

Let me guess...cardio? It is SO bad for fat loss because this always happens. It increases your hunger and cravings.

For fat loss you want resistance and weights, with cardio on the odd day for some good lung and heart workouts!

Track your food and see if you can tweak what you eat before your next workout.

Ultimately, eating is not a bad thing...depends what you are eating though of course!

lljkk Sat 14-May-16 21:46:07

Isn't running "cardio" exercise? My 45 minute run gives me no appetite initially. HRM says I only burn 350 calories, though it's the hardest I can work, honest grin. Maybe OP is working a lot harder than me.

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 14-May-16 22:02:28

Running is indeed cardio, massively energy demanding therefore appetite increasing (depending on effort and time etc).

DavetheCat2001 Tue 17-May-16 09:56:05

I find I have zero appetite after running, in fact the last thing I want to do is eat for ages afterwards.

Weird.

Naicecuppatea Tue 17-May-16 10:03:45

My appetite completely drops after running and I would feel sick if I ate straight afterwards. I can easily skip my next meal. And overall eat less on a running day than I would do on a day where I do no exercise. It is so strange how cardio affects hunger differently in people.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Tue 17-May-16 10:10:14

Have a protein smoothie after.

I use the juice of two limes, handful of blueberry and blackberries, half an avocado, three tablespoons of Greek yogurt, 300 ml almond milk and tablespoon of honey and scoop of protein powder (you can leave out the honey if you like).

lljkk Tue 17-May-16 10:33:31

funny enough I have a friend on FB who posts basically 2 kinds of pictures:

1) her in the gym that day, surrounded by resistance machines
2) Plates of beautiful food

She's still quite a heavy person... I'm not convinced that weight lifting kills appetite for sure, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now