Fitbit or iPhone holder, which is best?

(9 Posts)
Vaara Sun 08-May-16 18:18:30

I've been an off and on runner for years, but never really taken it that seriously.

I've just done my first 5k and am doing a 10k in September.

I regularly run 10k a week in two bursts of 5k and my medium term aim is to up that to 20km per week in three bursts.

I use the Nike app on my iPhone and basically want to measure distance and time. If I can also measure increasing fitness (I suppose you tell this by heart rate?) then great.

I'm not sure whether to buy an arm band for my phone, so I can continue to use the Nike app in the summer when I don't have pockets, or to invest in a Fitbit. I'd only pay £100 plus if it really did a lot more than the app. I'm also not very good with technology so if it's complicated to use it will stay in a drawer.

Can anyone who uses the Fitbit tell me if its for me please? Or any other recommendations for measuring increasing fitness/distance/time?

Thanks

LucyLocketLostIt Sun 08-May-16 18:32:50

Watching thread. I've been looking into a Fitbit vs an apple watch and sounds like the apple watch isn't great because it doesn't have built in GPS.

I have tried running with phone in holder strapped to arm but didn't get on with it so currently just run with phone in hand.

VeryPunny Sun 08-May-16 18:37:29

Fitbits are fun but unless you go for the higher end ones (Charge HR) they aren't that useful for running. You might want to look into a Garmin GPS watch such as the Forerunners - I can send workouts to mine, so it tells me what to do and when, as well as all the usual stats.

If you don't mind not being able to see stats on the run and just want logging, just use your normal phone and get a Flipbelt - very comfortable holders. Runkeeper will speak your time and stats through your headphones so you don't need to look at a watch/ phone.

Vaara Sun 08-May-16 18:38:29

Does it jiggle about? I usually have mine in my pocket but I've been thinking I do use it for music, so I'd probably need to take it anyway.

Still interested if a Fitbit is worth the cost though

Vaara Sun 08-May-16 18:40:06

Thanks Very that's useful info. I'll have a look at the belts.

I don't really worry too much about stats as I'm going. I find them a bit depressing actually - I don't want to know if I'm only at the 2k mark!

Vaara Sun 08-May-16 18:40:33

What does the Fitbit actually do?

chutneypig Sun 08-May-16 18:48:28

I tend to use a combination. I've had a basic Fitbit one for years now - that just measures steps/stairs/rough calorie burn. I was very happy with that and didn't want a wrist based Fitbit (the One clips on or goes in a pocket). Since I've done more running I have the basic Garmin forerunner 10. That shows pace/distance/time and works well to keep me on track out.

I do occasionally use my phone, mostly for music but occasionally for a running app as that will tell me average pace - the Garmin will too but it's either current pace or average and I like both. I also didn't get on with arm bands but have a flip belt and that works very well. You can stuff all sorts in it and it doesn't jiggle.

A friend has a Fitbit surge which he likes - I think that will cover most of the Garmin features and activity tracker. I think that depends whether you want both GPS and activity tracker in a watch format.

lljkk Sun 08-May-16 19:28:03

If you go 2nd hand you can get a huge range more selection.
I don't trust devices without a proper Heart rate strap.

hooliodancer Mon 09-May-16 09:53:14

The Charge HR will do everything you want. I love mine, it is interesting to see how different activities burn different calories in the same time, e.g. gardening vs Zumba. It will tell you how far you have run, and gives a huge amount of stats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now