how to train for a half marathon

(3 Posts)
RaisinGirls Sat 07-May-16 07:57:28

I've just agreed with my DSis that I will run a half marathon with her in October. I am now petrified as to how on earth I am going to manage this. She is super fit - does triathlons etc all the time - but I'm not!

I do two half hour high intensity interval training a week but don't do any running at all. I could probably half run half walk a 5k at the moment to give an idea of fitness.

Can anyone help me work out a training plan which is going to get me to stage where I can complete a half marathon in October please?

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 07-May-16 08:16:42

Start with couch to 5k (sounds like you could probably pick this up halfway through as you've already got a base level of fitness) and once you're comfortable running 30min/5k there are plenty of training plans out there. I used the Bupa one for beginners and finished my first half in March. There's also a half marathon thread on here which you'll find lots of support in. Good luck!

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 07-May-16 08:17:19

www.bupa.co.uk/~/media/Images/HealthManagement/PDFs/Beginner%20half%20marathon_FINAL.ashx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now