New runner!!

(8 Posts)
Onthedowns Thu 05-May-16 17:18:42

Just had my second baby 9 weeks and starting spinning before I became pregnant! But would like to take up running I am 2 stone overweight with s large bust but have good supportive bra and my weight is relative to my height if that makes sense! What is achievable to start with? Couch to 5k? I want to aim for a half marathon or do you think a 10k is more achievable ?

startingtolooklikemother Thu 05-May-16 17:26:55

Hiya, I'm also brand new to running. Have just downloaded the couch to 5k and done 3 runs. I must look a sight with arms and legs everywhere and s bright red face but I'm doing it!!!! I don't really know what to wear, I've got a good sports bra (massive boobs and it looks like a hammock) and found some trainers but be interested to get some advice. Do you fancy a running buddy?

Onthedowns Thu 05-May-16 20:05:22

That sounds great! I am hoping to start in a couple of weeks once my son is more settled! Where are you?

MrsMook Thu 05-May-16 21:27:40

I did C25k when I was reclaiming my fitness and waist back from my second pregnancy. I started when baby was about 7 months and I'd finally stopped limping from the SPD!

It worked.grin

The good thing about running is that if all else fails, you can take the pram!

Runningupthathill82 Fri 06-May-16 06:59:20

Book in an autumn 10k - that's more than a doable distance in the next 4 months or so. Then if that goes well you can do a half next spring (ie a year from now).
The c25k programme is a good start, but you can also get 10k walk/run programmes that are equally beginner friendly.

Onthedowns Fri 06-May-16 17:27:35

Thanks! We have a half marathon in Feb next year here?

AyeAmarok Fri 06-May-16 17:46:41

That's plenty of time to do a half marathon OP, good idea smile

And it will be a nice time of year to do it as it won't be too warm!

Once you get to 10k it's not as big a jump to go from 10-21 as it is from 0-10k. You're already used to running at a sustainable comfortable pace by 10k, so you're just stretching out the distance a little.

Onthedowns Fri 06-May-16 20:50:09

Thanks! It's something to aim for!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now