I've got dodgy knees, but want to take up running. Is it possible?

(2 Posts)
InAWashingMachineMinute Tue 03-May-16 13:22:50

I've had knee issues for years (tracking and cartilage problems). I do yoga and pilates regularly so am fairly strong. However, I really miss getting a decent aerobic workout and would love to get into running.

I can't swim quickly enough to make it worth while and cycling is the worst thing for my knees. I quite like cross-trainers, but don't want to be gym-bound.

I really love the feeling of being out in the open and the high you get from running, but the last time I tried to get back into it my knees were agony.

Has anyone with knee problems found a way to make running work? What things do I need to do? (I've got decent trainers).

Thanks!

Thanks!

MrsMook Tue 03-May-16 18:42:35

My knees were rubbish in my late teens/ twenties, and I've had no trouble with them since taking up running.

I'd say go into it gently, and do other strength work- the yoga is good for that.

I did C25k when I was recovering from SPD, so allowed recovery time and did a few repeats to reduce injury risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now