I think I've hit a running 'low' - feel old, slow and crap.

(21 Posts)
blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 10:44:09

I only started running a couple of months ago - had loads of support on here which was great. I started off planning to run for 10 minutes, now I can run for 20 minutes plus and have been running about 10k a week. I'm slow. About 7 minutes a km. I was really happy and pleased with myself when I started. The longest I've managed is 4.5k which is great as I am training for a 5k race for life in June. And despite having plantar fasciitis, I've not had any injuries.

But I've hit a low point. I've not lost any weight and hoped I would have by now, which I thought might help my running. I'm still really slow. I still struggle with hills. I don't know ANYONE in RL who runs as slowly as me - anyone I know in RL who runs is either training for the fecking London Marathon or doing triathlons!

I made the mistake of letting my SIL follow me on Strava and of course she's running 15k at a time at a 5 min a k pace.

My plantar fasciitis isn't going away and I can feel myself starting to lose motivation.

Help!!

LemonBreeland Tue 19-Apr-16 10:49:45

7min a km is a good pace. Don't be down on yourself. Most of my running group run at that pace, with quite a few running slower. I run 8 min km atm as I had a cold and am trying to build my fitness up.

As for weight loss, running will not do that for alone. It really doesn't burn huge numbers of calories sadly. But please don't feel demotivated, you are doing really well.

FuzzyWhiteLegs Tue 19-Apr-16 10:58:43

I run really slowly - 7:30/km is a fast km for me! More usually running 8:30min.And I don't run far - 3-5k. And I've been at it on and off for a couple of years!!

But I am out there and doing it. If I run harder I get shocking shin splints, so buggerit, I'm going slow, but coming back with a smile on my face, and willing & able to go again.

You're doing it, be proud.

Merrow Tue 19-Apr-16 10:59:32

Do you have a park run near you? I've been to a few in different places and there's always been a massive range of people, from the ridiculously fit to those that walk most of the way. You definitely won't be the slowest! They also sometimes have pacers, which always makes me push myself a bit more.

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 11:23:55

yes there is a park run near me but I am quite nervous about it. I had planned to try one in May.

Merrow Tue 19-Apr-16 13:00:12

I was nervous and did the pathetic sensible thing of going along one week with no intention to run to have a look at what it was like and make sure that there definitely were lots of beginners!

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 13:04:29

i've considered just going but not getting a barcode so its not recorded grin

Thefitfatty Tue 19-Apr-16 13:11:46

You're plateauing. It's normal.

Are you getting enough protein to repair your muscles? You should have something with some protein right after you run. Also, how often are you running?

Sometimes switching up exercises can help break a plateau, so try some cycling, swimming, weight lifting, etc. Something that breaks the routine.

Otherwise, good job, that's really good progress.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Apr-16 13:15:59

7 mins a km is pretty fast! I did 13min ks this am

Rather than focusing on your pace can you maybe invest in a heart rate monitor and judge yourself on that instead? Adidas micoach do a free app that will coach you based on HR or pace, and you can pair it with a generic Bluetooth HRM.

Pace is not really that important, especially when you are starting. Far better to focus on your HR zones which will show your real effort - if your pace is "slow" but your HR is high, you know you are working hard.

Imfinehowareyou Tue 19-Apr-16 13:21:15

I found this book: Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley quite inspirational.

QuiteLikely5 Tue 19-Apr-16 13:24:21

Does running tone you? I was going to start but if you don't lose weight then what is the point smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Apr-16 13:34:23

Running def tones you, but you have to run a lot to lose weight as its so easy to out eat yourself!

OP, you are doing great, you really are. Its still early days and the world is your oyster runningwise. You don't have to be fast to do a triathlon either - supersprints only require you to run 2.5km smile

Overrunwithlego Tue 19-Apr-16 13:42:15

I only run a tiny bit faster than you and I do Srprint triathlons - if (like me!) you don't particularly like running it's a good way to do an endurance challenge without having to run for hours. I'm just not a runner - and my pace remains exactly the same whatever I do. I've just been out for a 5km run and run it in exactly the same time as if it was the end of a 750m swim and a 20km bike ride. I'm not exhausted by running per se, it's just my legs only work at one speed!

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 13:50:13

Thanks everyone you are brilliant. I have bought a swimming costume I need some lessons as my front crawl is awful. A bit scared of bikes but there's no reason I couldn't do a triathlon one day! Great advice and yes iamfine read that book last year and felt so envious of her I realised I had to take up running!

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Apr-16 14:11:02

blearynweary when I read your post I just HAD to reply! I too am the slowest runner I know but that hasn't stopped me running marathons - even though I do often come last. Running is the most amazing life-affirming activity there is and on no account should you let your speed determine your enjoyment of it. You are doing absolutely fabulously - most people I meet tell me they can't even run a bath! And you're doing it with plantar fasciitis - blimey! Everyone struggles with hills - just keep doing them and they'll get easier. I still find running a challenge after doing it for many, many years. My advice is to find a running buddy as quickly as you can (it makes running feel like a party not purgatory) - parkrun is a fabulous place to start. NEVER be intimidated by parkrun - it's just the friendliest place going! Yes there are Olympian members like Jo Pavey who run 5K in 5 minutes flat, but there are also two year olds and 90 year olds and everyone supports each other. Don't be disheartened about losing weight through running - many people don't. If you just nudge white carbs off your plate and replace them with lots of veg and salad that will make a huge difference. And don't forget to have protein at every meal. Get off Strava as quickly as you can - honestly, comparing yourself to others is never going to be satisfying. Set your own targets - aim to speak to 10 different people at each parkrun, create a running CV of superfun races - and celebrate meeting them. I read a great race sign once that said 'You don't find yourself, you create yourself' - you have already made a great start at creating that new fitter you and have every reason to be proud of yourself.

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Apr-16 14:20:21

bleary Speedo are doing free swim coaching soon smile

I run at 7-7.30 min/km per hour, and have done for many years. That's just my pace.

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 14:41:54

Oh wow smile

I want to print this out and staple it to my forehead!!

Thank you so much for being so encouraging. I've actually just come back from a 3.5k run and average speed was 6.27 so I'm feeling GREAT smile more importantly I loved it. I am really really enjoying it,as long as I don't compare myself to anyone else.

I have to remember why I am doing this - to run a race for life in June, which in January seemed like an impossible dream.

LemonBreeland Tue 19-Apr-16 15:13:32

Running a race is brilliant. I started running a year ago, and literally couldn't run th length of myself. I have done 6 5k runs and a 10k last month that lamost killed me as I didn't train for it, but medals are what keeps me going. I am a medal junkie.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Apr-16 15:22:44

Remember how impossible that 5k was as a dream. FWIW, I was a life long non runner (as in, really couldn't, always last) when at 40 I decided to do c25k. Did my first marathon last week grin and I still can't believe that the huge medal hanging up is mine. I've done triathlons and duathlons in the 3 years since I learned to run, and I may be slow, broken and scarred but the belief in myself that I can do amazing things is priceless.

BTW Alexandra Hemmingsly has a book on swimming coming out this summer starting out from her being terrified of swimming

KindDogsTail Tue 19-Apr-16 15:29:15

You seem to be doing absolutely brilliantly. Keep it up! I certainly could not do what you do. Well done.

About the not losing weight: What the FitFatty said.

I saw a book called The Appetite Solution that mentioned being careful with exercise at first - it mentioned that have to really eat enough of the right kind of food with all that exercise and rebalance your metabolism gradually.

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 15:46:06

CMOT wow I would love to do a duathlon. Can't wait to read that book!

Thank you kinddogstail! I didn't start running to lose weight but I kind of thought I would lose a bit. I think if I managed to lose a stone running would be easier. Interesting about the eating and metabolism

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now