exercises for lower belly excluding crunches

(9 Posts)
Slowprogress Thu 07-Apr-16 16:19:12

All tips welcome!

I'm thinking along the lines of squats, side bends etc.

My lower belly needs toning so badly! Help confused

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 07-Apr-16 16:23:47

Heel taps.
Lie on the floor in a sit-up position. Raise your head and shoulders off of the floor, engaging your core. With your left arm, reach down the left side of your body towards the outside of your ankle. Tap your ankle then come back to the centre. Do the same on your right side. Repeat. Good for the lower abs and obliques.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:39:49

I've never wanted abs or any overt appearance of muscle on my stomach but after I started doing box jumps, my stomach muscles developed pretty quickly.
100 box jumps makes my stomach muscles ache more than anything I've ever done before. Box at height just above knees.

LaraineSmith13 Sat 09-Apr-16 08:52:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dontcryforme Sat 09-Apr-16 09:07:23

Side plank (from knees if need be to start)
Heel slides
Pelvic tilts (can be done lying on your back or standing with feet in turn out position)

Sometimes less is more and to tone the deep abdominal / TVA muscles you need exercises that appear 'easy' but are the best for the job.

All can be found if you google. Also look up MuTu and CarrieFit for safe and crunch-free exercises that are especially good for 'mum tum' / diastatis recti.

Slowprogress Sun 10-Apr-16 16:45:26

Thank you all for the advice I will look into it today smile

dinkystinky Tue 12-Apr-16 13:21:39

plank,
side plank,
glute bridge,
mountain climbers,
straight leg raises,
the 100 (pilates exercise).

dontcryforme Tue 12-Apr-16 16:22:48

OP aside from the side plank, the exercises dinky lists are to be avoided if you have diastasis recti, weak core or any doming when performing them. Please google to find how to check yourself for DR before going ahead as if you have it, those exercises will only worsen it and make your tummy seem bigger.

dinkystinky Tue 12-Apr-16 16:46:17

Yes, my post did assume you didn't have diastasis recti and were looking for variations on exercises instead of crunches

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now