Made it through C25K but a bit demoralised now

(14 Posts)
deplorabelle Wed 06-Apr-16 17:16:23

I probably haven't ever in my life been properly fit until now, so I really lack confidence. I was so so chuffed to finally get through C25K and actually run 5K. I used the NHS Choices app and it really kept me going.

So then, several things happened. I got ill and the children were off for Easter holidays and I had to have over a week off before I was well enough to run. And I couldn't run at all! I was so upset. I did one of the week 6 runs to ease myself back into it (two 10 minute stints with a 3 min recovery break) and found it so hard I basically couldn't do it.

I thought I might use my newfound running ability to take DS1 out running but our first attempt wasn't a great success. He was too fast for me but then wimped out after 5 minutes and I just feel lost what to do with myself now. I need a new running project to keep me energised but can't do any of the 5K graduate programs because I can't seem to run any more <wail> I kind of hanker after 5k to 10k but I don't have a vast amount more time I can spare for running. And anyway I feel like a complete failure at this running lark now.

Is it normal to lose fitness so flipping quickly? Can anyone recommend me something to do next?

mudandmayhem01 Wed 06-Apr-16 17:28:37

How old is your ds, I run with my 12year daughter but I am a lot a faster than her and she lacks the stamina for continuous running so we warm up together ( making her run slowly) then we do lots of fun intervals and drills, loads of examples on line. Drills are great for improving your strength and running form. If you are stronger and more stable each step is easier and there running is easier. I do a drills session with a group of beginners and it is amazing how it improves their running.

DessertOrDesert Wed 06-Apr-16 17:50:45

If you can, go back to week 5 run 3.
Try to do 20 mins, however slowly.
When that will s OK, week 6 run 3, weeks 7,8,9. Build back up to it.
It's more likely your not fully recovered, rather than lost all your fitness.
I'm still on 30 mins or the 5k+ podcasts, and often don't complete them. Combination of lazyness, no decent running route (I do a 2km square, and am never more than 500m from home, which makes chickening out easy) and weather.
Stick with it.
How old is your son?

deplorabelle Wed 06-Apr-16 18:02:20

Thank you that's really helpful

DS1 is 10 - he might go for the drills actually, though it would probably kill me!

Can you point me in the direction of any plans to follow as far as drills are concerned?

deplorabelle Wed 06-Apr-16 18:04:06

Thank you Dessert I hope you're right about not being fully recovered and I can pull this back with a bit of effort.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 06-Apr-16 21:49:28

If you're looking for a challenger what about your local parkrun? Trying to get faster or get t-shirts (you get them after certain numbers of runs)? They are free and friendly and could keep you going

deplorabelle Wed 06-Apr-16 22:02:20

Yeah I'm a bit wibble about park run but I'll think about it thanks

MrsMook Thu 07-Apr-16 06:16:56

I agree that park run would be a good goal.

I'd repeat some C25k tracks to build back up. It takes a while to get a good base of stamina and fitness.

I sometimes use the C25k+ tracks. The shortest is just under 30 mins (I use that if I'm having a pre work run) and the others are about 35-45 mins. C25k trains you to slow to a sustainable plod. When your body is ready, the C25k+ podcasts train you to keep going a little longer, and to control your pace.

veneeroftheweek Thu 07-Apr-16 08:43:36

I did c25k before Christmas and then life got in the way and I didn't run for weeks. Like you, I went back to one of the previous weeks and felt really despondent when I found it so hard and my legs ached for days afterwards. I've started a new programme -0-60 Behinners Luck which builds you up to running an hour over 10 weeks. I've started the programme a few weeks in but still doing intervals, so yesterday 5x minute runs interspersed with walking. I managed it easily and it felt good, but my legs are aching today. I'm hoping that building up to the longer runs will help my confidence and rebuild my fitness nice and gently and I can focus on breathing, posture etc.

GeorgeTheThird Thu 07-Apr-16 08:47:25

Running should be "me" time, IMO. Try going out 2/3 times a week on your own with some really good music on. You'll soon feel so much better.

PurpleWithRed Thu 07-Apr-16 08:58:39

Lots of good advice above: I've done C25K twice, loads of people have
Also, I recommend Map My Run for finding new routes/tracking your progress - is quite addictive
And when DH is struggling with his running I am instructed to drive out and drop him off so he has to run home - he can run or walk but there is no cheating!

PurpleWithRed Thu 07-Apr-16 08:59:20

Oh, crucially, I can ONLY listen to The Archers when I am running (or digging on the allotment) so i HAVE to run to keep up with what's going on!

CMOTDibbler Thu 07-Apr-16 10:10:40

I agree that your illness could still be really affecting your running.

Give parkrun a go - ours is huge (595 people last week) and does have a lot of really fast people. But it also has lots of people just coming through c25k and people who do walk/run intervals.

I take my 9 year old running, and he had to learn to pace himself to do 5k, and though he's not the worlds most enthusiastic runner he likes the ability to do so now.

How about entering an event to give yourself a target? The Womens Running magazine ones are very friendly, or Race for Life. Race for Life was the first thing I'd ever done that meant running with other people and the atmosphere was amazing

deplorabelle Thu 07-Apr-16 14:03:57

This is all so helpful and encouraging everyone thank you. Veneer your Beginner's Luck programme sounds like just what I need, thank you.

I also like the idea of doing an event. I have idly looked at the Colour Runs because I think my children would enjoy the novelty of it. I'm a bit shy though! (Has anyone done one?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now