Jogging with kids

(7 Posts)
MarvellousCake Tue 05-Apr-16 11:39:48

I'm planning to start taking my dc out jogging with me (age 6 and 9), with the aim of taking part in a Race for Life. If anyone has experience of jogging with their kids, I'd be really interested to hear how you got started, how often/how far etc, and any tips you have.
One of them has a pair of Clarks trainers, which I guess will be OK to begin with - I will need to get trainers for the other (or do they need a 'proper' pair of running shoes to begin with?). They will also need some sports clothes, I guess - not sure where to look for that.

CMOTDibbler Tue 05-Apr-16 11:48:27

Follow the C25k programme with them - it works really well. My ds(9) has had the Asics junior running shoes.
No need for special clothes, but decathlon is great if you want then.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 05-Apr-16 11:56:21

My experience of jogging with dc (also for a charity run) was a trifle demoralising. My 10 year old dd was so much faster than me that I was reduced to yelling out 'now run round that lamp post 10 times' which gave me a chance to catch up. Several people helpfully told me that dd was faster than me.

I wasn't daunted though. Okay, I thought. I can't beat my 10 year old. But a 7 year old? No problem. I was deluded. She thrashed the pants off me.

I was reduced to training on my own, then taking the dds out with me on a bike. This enabled me to nearly keep up with them.

What happened in the race? Dd1 run a very respectable 22 minutes, with dd2 not far behind at around 24 minutes. I jogged slowly up the rear at 30 minutes. Yes. I was enormously proud of me grin. I don't think my dds did badly either.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 05-Apr-16 11:58:25

Oh, and our training regime was v. simple. We simply run a little bit further each day by shoving an extra loop on the route, or going down one further road.

The dc did have fairly good running trainers (I'm talking about £30 though - nothing extreme). Just make sure the trainers are running rather than fashion.

MarvellousCake Tue 05-Apr-16 12:05:31

Thanks - that's really helpful. Matilda, I can imagine my kids doing the same once they get going. I know that I can run 5k, but I also know pretty much exactly how fast (read: slow) I can do it. For the kids I reckon they will need some time to work up to the distance, but that they will be faster from the beginning.
Might try C25k. My experience of doing it before (for myself) was that it built up a bit too slowly and I got a bit bored, but maybe it will work well for kids who've never run a distance before.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 05-Apr-16 12:10:16

The C25 didn't suit me. But then I couldn't stand Scout's pace when I was a guide. I felt I never got a rhythm going.

My dc seemed to have no problem with getting up to 5K. They certainly found it easier than me. In fact, my one dd got lost on a one mile race and ended up running 6 miles by mistake. She was 8 at the time, and didn't seem bothered at all.

Do you have a junior park run in your neck of the woods? That might be a good place to start.

MarvellousCake Tue 05-Apr-16 12:29:14

Yes! We do have junior park run - great idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now