Low carb or 5:2?

(8 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Sun 03-Apr-16 23:00:16

Am currently doing R in 30 having done 30DS. Used to be that exercise was enough to keep me slim but since having 2nd child, I just cannot shift the belly fat. I know it's because of what I eat.

So someone on here directed me to the low carb thread - it looks bloody hard! I've never dieted before and im just not sure I can do that one. I've been trying to cut carbs by replacing potatoes/rice/pasta with veg. But for example, I thought I was being really good recently by always having porridge with berries and banana for breakfast but according to the low carb diet this is not a good bfast at all. Plus I just can't get my head around a diet based on high fat, lots of meat but cutting down fruit n veg (although it obviously works really well for a lot of people).

So my question is - do I continue just trying to lower my carb intake or should I try something like the 5:2 which I suspect might make me feel less deprived? What worked for you?

Chocwocdoodah Mon 04-Apr-16 21:04:57

Anyone? I ate 3 cakes at dinner with the in laws today. ...somebody needs to stage an intervention....

pandarific Mon 04-Apr-16 22:38:20

I think 5:2 personally. It's sustainable, you know? Also, if you want some toast you can just have some toast!

Chocwocdoodah Mon 04-Apr-16 23:43:21

That's what I was thinking! So on the "2"days you just eat ridiculously low cals, don't you? What does that typically look like in terms of a meal plan, for those of you that have done it?

FaithlessOne Tue 05-Apr-16 00:02:41

I've just tried low carb. I can't do it. I felt deprived and miserable but I did lose weight.

I feel better on 5:2. Today was a fast day. I've had

- homemade chicken soup (80)
- 2 ryvitas with low fat spread (80)
- mushroom omelette (175)
- strawberries and Greek yoghurt (90)
- 4 squares dark sugar free choc (76)
- lots of water

I feel like I've had enough. I don't tend to start eating on fast days til about 1pm though.

Chocwocdoodah Tue 05-Apr-16 00:17:11

Thank you so much. Yes, i think low carb would make me miserable too! Do you have to skip bfast as I absolutely could not do that - I would pass out by mid morning!! FYI once just discovered the dieting board so have posted on there....

Chocwocdoodah Tue 05-Apr-16 00:17:38

have not once

FaithlessOne Tue 05-Apr-16 00:29:28

No. You don't have to skip breakfast. You can eat your calories whenever you want. Glad you found the other board.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now