Exercise for someone with low BMI

(6 Posts)
lionheart70 Mon 28-Mar-16 11:59:00

I'd love some advice on exercise that won't make me lose weight, and may even help me bulk up/strengthen.

I have a low BMI - 18.3 (I have been around this all my life; have never put on weight - just can't seem to).

I enjoy running, but I worry it'll make me even skinnier. I go out about 2/3 times a week, and run for about 20/30 mins. I also try to do some weights at home - I have some kettle bells and do some exercises with these once or twice a week, although I'm thinking I should increase this.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Ideally I'd love to increase my weight/body mass.

Glitteryfrog Mon 28-Mar-16 14:27:48

If you're naturally slim and you're eating a healthy balanced diet then exercise shouldn't make you loose weight.
You might need to eat a little more to balance it out, if you notice you're losing weight, but not a huge amount. Exercise doesn't burn as many Cal's as you hope!
You need to lift heavy weights (heavy for you) to bulk up (and if you're female you won't bulk in the same way as a man.) And you need to keep upping the weight so it maintains the difficulty.
I do 5 gym classes a week and I have some definition on my arms, but nowhere near a six pack.
If you want to be healthy then do what you enjoy.

MrsMook Mon 28-Mar-16 17:03:15

Your appetite would probably increase in line with extra calorie burn so remains balanced. Runners often find it harder to lose weight when their bodies are used to it.

lionheart70 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:33:53

Ok, thanks. Am considering I would need to go to a gym for more weights, but frankly I am a bit intimidated.

Howmanyminutes Thu 31-Mar-16 09:37:09

I used the weights room in the gym, and I was always a bit intimidated or put off by the grunting and testosterone, I didn't ever feel totally comfortable in there but I think a lot of men don't either. I had some PT sessions in there and that helped gain confidence. I also used to go to classes that involved free weights- pretty tough ones that were mainly men but didn't feel intimidated there, just quite proud I could sometimes do better than some of the men (I'm quite small). That really helped also with technique.

Howmanyminutes Thu 31-Mar-16 09:39:28

Also if you could justify the cost some free weights/ kettle bells at home and a personal trainer might work out the same as gym membership in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now