Fluid retention due to weight training?

(4 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Fri 25-Mar-16 16:13:54

I had my first personal training session on Tuesday. I knew she'd push me a bit more than I would usually push myself which is why I figured I'd give it a go. I did a lot of leg work and my legs are STILL dreadfully stiff three days later. That's by the by though - I have another issue. My thighs seem to be huge. Now, I do carry a lot of fat which I know has to go, but it's like they've swollen up a bit. Could this be fluid retention brought on by the intense workout? I know that water retention can happen with weight training, so maybe this is a possibility?

And if anyone knows, how long does this take to do down?

Jaimx86 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:47:42

I avoid doing 'legs' on a Fri/Sat when I know I'll want to wear skinny jeans as I tend to chunk up a lot. Overall benefits of heavy training have worked wonders in my legs though!

I wonder if it's the increased blood flow?

Oldisthenewblack Fri 25-Mar-16 22:34:05

Thanks, Jaimx86 - at least I know it's not just me then grin. That's what I'm telling myself, that the overall benefits will be worth it eventually, especially when I shift some lard.

It could indeed be the increased blood flow. Ah well, at least I'll be strong and fat instead of just weak and fat grin

phoolani Fri 25-Mar-16 22:40:08

Seems it can www.livestrong.com/article/277259-strength-training-cause-water-retention/
I'd never heard of it, but now you mention it my thighs are slightly bigger today after a punishing leg session on Wednesday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now