Will 30 mins each day on a cross trainer tone me up?

(11 Posts)
PoreofWiner Thu 17-Mar-16 11:50:02

i've recently lost 3 stone. am more or less at target weight now but really need to tone up.

i have a cross trainer. i am quite unfit. i am also super short of time and can't get out of the house of an evening as DH works shifts

will 30 mins every day be enough to make a difference?

Paulat2112 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:36:35

Resistance training would be better for you smile cardio is good but won't tone you up

kardashianklone Thu 17-Mar-16 13:46:51

It will help if you combine it with a healthy diet and other cardio and exercise. It will not help if you just do that and nothing else, and have an unhealthy diet. Otherwise we'd all just do 30 mins on a cross trainer and there would be no need for gyms. Best thing to tone up; cardio and weights. Yes, I know it's a pain. Yes, I hate every minute of it. But yes, it's worth it.

carrie74 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:48:29

I would do 5 minutes warm up on the cross trainer, then 20-25 minutes of a mixture (each day focused on a different area). HIIT, strength/weights, focusing on upper body, then legs, then abs for example. I really like Fitness Blender for this kind of thing (I do 90% of my exercise at home).

DownstairsMixUp Thu 17-Mar-16 13:51:00

No it won't. I think the cross trainer is the least effective at burning calories to out of all the equipment at the gym. Either 20 minutes of hiit or a really fast paced walk on an incline on the treadmill for cardio plus 3 weight training sessions a week. I do mine all on the same day so then I only go gym 3 days a week (Monday, wednesday, friday)

DownstairsMixUp Thu 17-Mar-16 13:52:07

And it will be the the weight training that tones you. The best results I get are when I am for 3 sets of 10 reptitions on the heaviest weight i can manage. Usually up the weight 2kg every fortnight. (Average, sometimes quicker on legs as my legs are stronger)

megletthesecond Thu 17-Mar-16 13:55:05

Not really. Try 10 mins of hard cross trainer then 20 mins weights. You need to mix it up a bit.

PoreofWiner Thu 17-Mar-16 16:47:07

Ok so I need weights. Do you just buy these in a shop? Any advice on which would be best would be great

And is the fitness blender on YouTube? Will have a Google

carrie74 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:56:01

I bought a cheap set of 3 weights from Argos or similar - 1.5, 3 and 5kg pairs of dumbbells. These have served me well for YEARS, but I really need something a bit heavier now (I've got a Kettlebell of 8kg too). Remember you can do loads of body weight exercises too (push ups, tricep dips, lunges, squats, crunches, burpees...)

Fitness Blender is loads of free workout videos, has its own website, but also on YouTube.

DownstairsMixUp Thu 17-Mar-16 21:35:13

I bought a york stuff. You can buy heavier weights when you need to. Amazon is great for it :-)

Jaimx86 Thu 17-Mar-16 21:37:57

You need to build muscle to 'tone'. A cross trainer won't do this unless you put the resistance VERY high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now