Any tips for cycling to work but not being a sweaty Betty when I get t?here

(4 Posts)
Oddoneout63 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:15:56

Takes 20mins to cycle to work. I only have half an hour in order to get there on time after my youngest goes to school so no time to shower. Trouble is I get so hot after 5mins that by the time I get to my desk I'm boiling & it takes half an hour with a fan on my desk to cool down. I've tried wearing less & less but I'm still so hot! Any tips (apart from 'buy a moped' which is a possibility). I can't keep turning up for work looking like a wet rag. Not very professional!

MumsKnitter Sun 13-Mar-16 17:20:16

I think you do need to shower. 10 mins should be enough if you use a shower cap to keep your hair dry.

IAmNotDarling Tue 22-Mar-16 20:04:15

Do you have a breathable clothing? How long have you been doing it? If it's a recent thing, as you get fitter it will get easier. Are you using your gears right?

My ride is 25 minutes but I don't do it everyday. I don't shower. I wear whatever trousers I wearing for the day and have a different top after a quick wipe with a soapy flannel and a spray of antiperspirant.

I have a running jacket that is vented and wear a buff around my hair to catch any sweat under my helmet.

I also have a full face of makeup that doesn't move. I'm fat and unfit, but I don't smell.

Oddoneout63 Mon 28-Mar-16 20:22:06

Not been updating for a while - I'm learning to wear less and less! As I'm pretty fit, I do start to sweat pretty quickly, so last week saw me cycling in wearing a t-shirt / sleeveless top & my work trousers. I pack a cardi / wrap / coat in my panniers. Then I layer up once I'm at the office.

As I'm peri-menopausal, the layers help with hot flushes during the day too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now