Running my first race!

(9 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:03:58

I've just signed up for Race for Life in June. It's a 10k and the first ever organised thing I've done.

I'm a bit nervous, but am looking forward to the challenge, plus a few of my lovely friends have sponsored me already, so it's very motivating!

I've run 10k and 11.5k respectively once each, so I know in theory I can do the distance (on a flattish surface), but not sure how hilly Crystal Palace park is going to be!

Anyhoo..just wanted to share smile

emummy Tue 01-Mar-16 19:12:43

Well done Dave, Race for Life is usually great fun. It sounds like you can do the distance fine, and you still have plenty of time to keep practising. Good luck!

mumwhoruns Tue 01-Mar-16 19:32:51

High five! Well done. Nothing like entering a race to keep the motivation going. Let us know how you get on!

originalmavis Tue 01-Mar-16 19:36:29

Well done. I did one last year when DS tricked me into registering with him. He sprinted off like a bloody whippet. So my planned gentle jogette turned into a mad dash. I'm not proud to say that I thought I was going to die/vomit/both but I did finish in not too shabby a time.

DavetheCat2001 Tue 01-Mar-16 20:44:42

Thanks guys smile

I went for a run this evening and boy was it hard work. Maybe it's because when I do my 2 runs in the week just around where I live, it is quite a hilly route (I run round Streatham Common if anyone knows it), and my times seem to be getting slower and slower!

I also try to get one long run in at the weekend, anything between 9 and 11k so far, but it is a much flatter route. I'm worrying a bit that if the run round Crystal Palace is hilly (which that general area is), I may struggle to do the 10k.

If I keep doing the shortish hilly runs a couple of times a week (between 5 and 7k), and the longer one at the weekend, in theory I should be able to manage the race run...?

FrancesHaHa Tue 01-Mar-16 22:17:09

You will be fine, especially if you can already run the distance. You've lots of time yet, and the adrenalin will help on the day.

If you haven't already maybe consider doing some park runs? I found it really helped before my first 10k to have done parkruns and had a general idea of doing a race eg not setting off too fast just because everyone else was.

Good luck!

DavetheCat2001 Tue 01-Mar-16 22:30:28

Thanks for the park run tip FrancesHaHa

I'll definitely try and get a few of those in before the race.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 01-Mar-16 23:07:15

There's a parkrun in crystal palace and brockwell park, or if you fancy a treat tooting Common and dulwhich have them too and they are flat.

eatpuddingdrinkwine Wed 02-Mar-16 13:28:04

I have done a 10k at crystal palace there are a 3 or 4 short sharp hills and a very long down hill bit .but all on a path so no soggy ground the park run embraces 2 of the hills so definitely worth a practicesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now