Gym instructor/ personal trainer course WWYD

(14 Posts)
Tailwagsdog Wed 24-Feb-16 09:38:08

I can just about squeeze in a fast track full time course for 4 weeks or do a mixed learning (home and meetings with a teacher) at my own pace. WWYD

With the full time one I'm worried I won't have to to train myslef and 4 weeks is along time to go without daily training. Then with the self-paced one I'd worry I wouldn't have a motivation to crack on and would miss out on meeting people confused.

Brainwashed Wed 24-Feb-16 18:30:28

I did a fast track full on pt course at the end of last year. My own training did drop a bit during that time but given the volume of work we had to complete I'd still be at it now if I'd chosen the self study option. Instead I am working as a pt with actual paying clients grin

Brainwashed Wed 24-Feb-16 18:31:28

The peer support on my course was great too. Which company are you looking to do your training with?

Tailwagsdog Thu 25-Feb-16 09:23:14

hi brainwashed, it's PT Academy.
Was the physical part of your training enough to count for a bit of workout or not really? I'm hoping to maybe to do it in the lunch break confused. Evening - food prep for the next day (my lunch/ dinner and DD's dinner) and tidy up.

Mornings? then would have to have a morning shower, etc. whilst getting DD ready for school. my head hurts!

Tailwagsdog Thu 25-Feb-16 09:24:46

also was there a lot of homework?

Brainwashed Thu 25-Feb-16 10:51:25

Probably wouldn't be enough physical activity in course to count for training if it was like mine. Lunchtimes might work...I could have joined the gym chain for the 5 weeks I was doing the course but chose not to...managed to fit in workouts at other times but my kids are old enough to be self caring! I did loads of preparatory work online before the course started and have a medical background so the anatomy and physiology was no problem for me....but I was still doing online work most evening's. It was really full on and everyone was exhausted at the end of the 5 weeks (even the youngsters! ) but I honestly feel if you can do it intensively like that you should. I still have an additional module to do as self study and haven't quite got round to it yet since I completed the pt course in November!

Tailwagsdog Fri 26-Feb-16 22:51:29

Thanks! Going by today (had a couple of hours free and done absolutely nothing), I will go for the full time course! There is no way I would keep the pace up with learning everyday if left to my own devices.

What did you wear for the duration of the course? I don't quite fancy being in training tights all day so what, jogging bottoms?

Brainwashed Sat 27-Feb-16 18:59:59

Most folk were in gym kit all the time. I tended to change into gym kit when required as I was commuting daily by train. Good luck and enjoy!

Tailwagsdog Sat 27-Feb-16 20:44:26

Thanks!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 27-Feb-16 20:56:35

Brainwashed Did you train with PT Academy too? Once qualified, did you find/get work immediately?

I've looked into training as a PT before but I'm concerned I wouldn't get a return on the financial investment. Also, I'm in my early 40's and worry I'd be too old and surrounded by lithe 20 year olds grin.

Good luck Tailwagsdog!

Brainwashed Sat 27-Feb-16 22:42:03

I trained with fitness industry education, now called train fitness. I finished my qualification in november and launched my own business in January. I am 46. .definitely a market for people our age, folk in their 40s and 50s may be intimidated by lithe 20 year olds and look for a pt with more life experience!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 27-Feb-16 22:51:16

Thank you, it's great to know that women in their 40's do these courses too! How's your business going?

Brainwashed Sun 28-Feb-16 10:06:55

Slow start which in a way is good as it means I can get used to things without being overwhelmed by volume of work! I have 3 clients so far. I've not done any aggressive marketing either...Just a Facebook page. Hopefully will get some more clients after my mail drop. Just wish I had done this 6 years ago when I first had the idea. .but actually I am much fitter now 😉

NeuNewNouveau Sun 28-Feb-16 10:14:40

Softkittywarmkitty just to reassure you as a woman in her 40s I would much much rather have a Female PT of a similar age than a 20yo man or lithe woman.
Not sure why I clicked on this thread, my chance of ever being a PT is about the same as my chance of going to the moon 😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now