Can't run, gym, or do a DVD... is swimming my only option?

(18 Posts)
hermosa Sun 14-Feb-16 09:16:52

I really want to take up some exercise but I feel really limited by my options.

I live in a remote village with one road which has no pavements (but plenty of lorries) and the road isn't lit at night. And there are no parks or open public spaces anywhere nearby. So couch to 5k and so on are out.

My house is tiny with no room to swing a cat. Oh, and no garden either. So DVDs, even 'little floor space needed' ones, are out.

The nearest gym is 1 hr 20 by train.

However, there is a public swimming pool a half hour train plus 15 min walk away. So that's still a 90 minute return trip three times a week hmm - is this my only option or can anyone think of anything obvious I might have missed?

Also - is swimming any good for weight loss when combined with (say) Weight Watchers? Thanks smile

yetanotherdeskmove Sun 14-Feb-16 09:39:23

Are there footpaths through fields etc you could use for walking or running?

sweetvparsley Sun 14-Feb-16 09:40:37

Are there any public footpaths over fields. If you are new to exercise, gentle walking on rough paths is probably the best thing to start toning you up.

Swimming's good - though unless you really love it, you might find it hard to do 3 times a week.

I started my way back to fitness using Lesley Sansone on Youtube. Its mainly walking on the spot so there is surely enough room in even the smallest house for that.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 14-Feb-16 09:42:12

Cycling?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 14-Feb-16 09:43:23

I also do a step video on you tube, you need minimal floor space as its all on the step, not travelling round the room like normal aerobics.

antimatter Sun 14-Feb-16 09:43:35

Nordic walking?

mudandmayhem01 Sun 14-Feb-16 09:46:51

It will soon be getting lighter in the evening, how about cycling? Also if you can walk to the train station, you could also run there. Get an os map of your local area and look for footpaths and bridleways. If you are in the UK there are very few rural areas that don't have footpaths.

Zigazigah Sun 14-Feb-16 09:46:54

Do you work outside the home? If so, is there anywhere near work you could exercise?

whiteagle Sun 14-Feb-16 09:51:20

There must be footpaths, forest walks accessible etc. You don't much space for a dvd - can you push the furniture back?

NotJanine Sun 14-Feb-16 10:03:45

Can you travel by car or train to somewhere that you can run?

Wardrobespierre Sun 14-Feb-16 10:11:54

I have loads of dvds. I work out in a tiny space. You can run on the spot, jump up and down, squat, punch and on and on and on. You can run up and down stairs, do step routines on the stairs, tricep dips on the chair, lift weights on the spot, standing press ups on the wall. Seriously, housework done really vigorously, running up the stairs, cleaning floors on hands and knees. The possibilities are vast.

Buy a bike, run on fields. You can shoehorn exercise into most stuff you do.

Do you want to exercise?

lljkk Sun 14-Feb-16 10:15:56

Used spinning machines can be as little as £60.

hermosa Sun 14-Feb-16 10:18:02

Biking is out because of the road situation, a lot of it is single lane and I do not want to be face on to a dumpster truck coming at me in one direction and/or trying to overtake me! No footpaths around I'm afraid either. I suppose I could take the train to somewhere I could run but then it'd be an hour on the train home all sweaty, maybe not a good idea?! grin

I do work from home so I am really keen to get out and about but gosh it's hard sometimes! I am very intrigued by the idea of a step video though, step used to be my favourite class at the gym and I'd never have thought about doing one from youtube so thanks for that idea! Sounds good! thanks

mudandmayhem01 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:31:13

I have lived, worked and travelled all over the UK and I have never found somewhere where a run or a bike ride wasn't possible ( usa definitely!) if it is rural area there must be people with dogs, where do they exercise them?

mudandmayhem01 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:44:16

Sorry if that sounded a bit rude, but peoples fears about cycling and running can be a bit unfounded. Are there any local running clubs/ groups, ask them where they run. Except for busy dual carriageways most roads in the UK are safe for cycling. Many councils provide free training and suggest safe routes. Don't give up roads are for everyone not just cars. Don't worry about being sweaty on the train, not as bad as the drunks and McDonald munchers!

suzannecaravaggio Sun 14-Feb-16 11:48:28

Press ups?
Or do you not have enough floor space?

anorakgirl Sun 14-Feb-16 11:54:12

Running up and down the stairs is brilliant exercise, as is walking on the spot. You just need to be creative!

NerrSnerr Sun 14-Feb-16 11:56:47

Could you get drive (or get a train) to the nearest town and run there? What about when you're already out doing shopping or visiting friends getting a quick run in? Swimming is good too though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now