How do you fit it in?

(9 Posts)
TheFear Sun 07-Feb-16 19:56:30

I work full time, Monday to Friday.
Am usually up between 6-6.30 and leave for work just after 7. I have breakfast in work. Generally I have a very brief lunch or eat at my desk, depending on the schedule that day.
I try to get out by 5pm at latest, home by 6pm, then I'm doing homework duty, making dinner, cleaning out lunch boxes, making breakfast and lunches for the next day, sorting clothes, cleaning up, spending some time with kids. I'm generally in bed by 10, having had maybe half an hour to myself.
I walk to my tram about 20 minutes each way, twice a day.
Otherwise I get zero exercise.
How do people fit it into their day? I can't seem to get my head around how I can do it, but I know I need it.
I used to get up and run at 6 am but that was when my commute was about 10 minutes..
Any ways that people squeeze in exercise that I might not have thought of??

whatiswrongwithyou Sun 07-Feb-16 20:02:53

I have a similar working day to you. I either get up at 5.30am and stick the 30 day shred on or ensure that the minute I get home in the evening that I make the time to do 30 minutes of HIIt exercise, lift weights or go for a run. I also go out every lunch time at work and walk for the full half hour. You can always find time if you really want to do it, but you do have to be disciplined.

Hopefully Tue 09-Feb-16 12:39:04

TBH I lose an hour's sleep to gain an hour's exercise. When I'm fit I find 7 hours sleep is plenty, so I make sure I am in bed by 10 at the latest, and am up at 4:50am to do yoga before the rest of the house wakes up.

RoganJosh Tue 09-Feb-16 12:41:09

You say you're up 6-6.30. So can you get ready if it's 6.30? And could you set your alarm for 6 and do a 30 min workout then?

puddock Tue 09-Feb-16 12:43:20

Could you walk, run or cycle all the way to work?

Or do something with the children in the evening that gives you all some exercise?

I sometimes swim or do zumba in the later evening when mine are asleep, obv that depends on if there's someone else at home to look after them though...

lastqueenofscotland Tue 09-Feb-16 12:50:29

I run too/from work.

jelliebelly Tue 09-Feb-16 13:14:56

Do you have a dp or anybody else to have the kids?

You need to make exercise a priority for you but need support. I go to the gym early mornings before work if dh is around to sort school run - gym close to work rather than home. What about weekends?

jelliebelly Tue 09-Feb-16 13:15:48

Lunchtime gym if there is one near work - nobody ever has time/ you have to make time!

ilovepinecones Thu 18-Feb-16 12:06:03

you have a hardcore routine going on there - well done for trying to squeeze it in.
You could try - taking your well-earned and deserved lunch hour?
Do you have support from partner or friends at weekend - an hour on sat or sun?
Change commute so get off train/bus whatever few stops early and run/cycle?
When would you be most likely to do exercise as I know I'm much better doing it straight away in the am - it's game over in the pm as I'm too tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now