Ultra marathon (50km) / Marathon / Faster 10km

(10 Posts)
SandunesAndRainclouds Sat 06-Feb-16 18:15:25

I need something to train for to get my backside off the sofa and running again.

I did 2 marathons last year... Not fast, and not pretty but I still crossed the finish line in one piece! 1st one was 5hr 34, 2nd one was 5hrs. I'm pretty sure with good training I've got a 4:30 in me if I can stay uninjured. I could enter an Autumn marathon and train for that.

I've been looking at 50km ultras, and that is proper bonkers but I think I'd quite like to add one to the list 'Things I've done to beat anxiety and prove I am strong'.

Or... I could work on my 10km speed. I've done 52mins before and I'd quite like to do a sub 50. In turn it'd improve my 5km time, currently PB is 25:42 and I'd love to knock that down to sub 25.

What to do?! I need to make a plan, get my running kit on and get out there again. Without a strong goal I'm really lacking motivation.

chutneypig Sat 06-Feb-16 19:44:32

Reading what you've posted it doesn't sound like one option draws you more than the others. Is that right? Because if one does then it's a no brainier which I'd go for in terms of motivation.

Practically does the training for one work better for you? I'm finding at the moment I can see fitting in training for a half, but a marathon would be too much, so that would tip me personally towards the 10k goal.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sat 06-Feb-16 22:04:58

I think that all are do-able and therein lies the problem. I could be greedy and plan all 3 over the next couple of years... Speed, marathon, ultra. That would make most sense.

chutneypig Sun 07-Feb-16 07:26:20

Would speed, ultra, marathon be an order to consider? The speed would give a good fast hit and keep you motivated and a base to work from, then the ultra with the element of brand new challenge and I'd think that could have a knock on effect on your marathon time.

One other decider for me would be whether I had an event in mind - if one just seemed more attractive. Ultras would be a long way off for me but some of the ones I've read about look stunning.

Anglaise1 Sun 07-Feb-16 13:27:28

Why not do all? Speed training helps with long distance races too, even ultras. It strengthens your short fibre muscles and your heart, and increases your lactate threshold limit. And in doing that you'd increase your 10k speed too. I'm doing marathon training but every session has some kind of speed work in different degrees included in it. I did a PB10k of 45mn just before Christmas, am hoping to improve my marathon time next month too.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 07-Feb-16 15:27:16

I've been having a look at the ultras, they are pretty much all trail with a 7 hour cut off. Maybe speed and faster autumn marathon which will then help me decide about doing an ultra at all...

Wileycoyote Sun 07-Feb-16 23:28:52

Anglaise, how did you mange to get a 45mn 10k PB?? I have run 50 something and would love to get sub 50.

Anglaise1 Mon 08-Feb-16 06:59:20

Wiley I'm 50 and only started running 3 years ago, my first 10k was 46mins 2 years ago so I really haven't improved a lot. A lot of being a good runner is down to your physiology, for example I have a low resting heart rate which helps a lot. There are other better runners in my club than me, but most of them have been running since they were young.
Do you do interval training? I do a couple of sessions a week even when training for a marathon or long trails.

mumwhoruns Fri 19-Feb-16 13:40:17

Go for the ultra!!! You will feel like superwoman. More training mind and it will take over your life but you'll get that feeling again - you know, that invincible feeling you got when you crossed the line on yr first marathon

SandunesAndRainclouds Fri 19-Feb-16 17:50:20

I've decided to go for 10km speed this year. Going to save the ultra for when I can no longer run 8min/miles 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now