Is anyone a proper dietician here?

(11 Posts)
JackandDiane Mon 01-Feb-16 17:16:18

Son is being trained for a sport by pro team. Is 6 foot 1 and is only 10.5 stone. He needs to put on weight and bulk up basically. Has been suggested he tried to eat 3k calories a day. Is using an oaty shake ( which he loathes) for 700 of them.

He has a small but varied appetite as his tummy is so small!.
Has anyone got any pro advice on good things to feed him at home? He is permanently hungry as he trains so much

vindscreenviper Tue 02-Feb-16 16:58:41

Ha, this is what happens when you use the proper topics and ask for advice only from people qualified to give it...

Tumbleweed

This would have been paaages long by now on chat or AIBU grin

My unqualified advice is to add cheese/cream/butter to everything, works for me when I'm on holiday.

suzannecaravaggio Tue 02-Feb-16 23:55:21

peanut butter grin

Kummerspeck Wed 03-Feb-16 00:18:15

My DDs BF is trying to bulk up a bit so is working with a personal trainer and nutritionist. He has been told to keep carbs to low levels and complex carbs only (like brown rice, lentils, beans, etc), increase protein and have protein shakes made with skimmed milk on top of normal meals

"Proper dieticians" may not be your best bet. My friend is one and says she despairs of the outdated low-fat based advice they have to give to conform with NHS guidelines. Maybe repost in chat and widen your request to nutritionists too

AnotherTimeMaybe Wed 03-Feb-16 00:23:28

More protein for sure in the form of nut butters, dairy, butter all the fatty stuff. Cheese has so many calories and high protein it's great for what you need!
Nut butters give lots of energy too!

Higge Thu 04-Feb-16 07:41:17

My PT suggests bulking up with protein powders - he says he can't get enough protein from food. Bulk up with carbs and you'll gain fat rather than muscle - not a proper dietician btw - but I wouldn't take a recommendation from them anyway - they are decades behind the research.

lljkk Thu 04-Feb-16 08:31:02

Look on the body building fora (not MN) where there's loads of advice about bulking up.

confusedandemployed Thu 04-Feb-16 08:35:01

A friend of mine had the same problem when she competed internationally.

She ate lots of nuts! Also lean meat, eggs, tuna and pulses.

Headmelt Thu 04-Feb-16 08:45:39

Lots of eggs, chicken, omelettes. Tell him to have a look at the Michael Phelps diet (he is a pro swimmer) but a dietician would come up with a proper diet to suit his sport and would give the best guidance. He needs advice on supplements/nutrition and exercise/weight regime. Does he not have access to a dietician if he is part of a training team?

Headmelt Thu 04-Feb-16 08:49:22

I should add that I am not a dietician.

Roonerspism Thu 04-Feb-16 08:53:57

I would run a mile from NHS Dieticians too.

I'm still laughing - and not in s good way - after one told me to give my baby Cheerios and orange juice for breakfast.

Agree with the Michael Phelps stuff. Lots of good fats - butter and full fat cheese and nut butters and eggs. Protein shakes are ok but it's better to eat real food. High protein - steak, mince, fish, chicken.

Protein after training - nuts,home made high protein balls.

I'm not a Dietician BTW. They are years behind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now