Exercise tracker

(14 Posts)
RhubarbCrumbled Thu 28-Jan-16 13:42:19

I'm back to the triathlon training for this season and have been umming and ahing over buying an exercise tracker. I want something that will track my distances and times, possibly with a GPS too for route maps. I'd quite like it to do steps taken each day and to be able to track my gym work.

I was looking at the FitBit Charge - what do you think or any other suggestions.

lljkk Thu 28-Jan-16 15:49:39

Is that wrist only? I think consensus is wrist-only are engaging toys but won't give you good real numbers. DH is happier using smartphone to count steps & Garmin with chest HRM for HR/distance. He can upload all the results onto Strava.

I just have a Polar HRM which is as much info as I need, can trace my routes using fetch if I'm curious.

newyear16 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:03:12

I use Argus which is an app on my iphone. Works fine.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 28-Jan-16 16:13:13

If you are proper training, a Fitbit just won't cut it.

I used to use my Fitbit as well as my gps watch for running. I had a Garmin forerunner which sadly died a death.

I now have an Apple Watch which I love to bits but obviously they are pricey and not everyone's cup of tea. If I didn't have that I'd go for another Garmin in a shot. They have come down in price since my last one was bought 4 years ago and they really are good for training.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 28-Jan-16 16:14:04

My Fitbit died after 8 months. That was the second incarnation too, the first one died within weeks! They are a bit shit imo.

RhubarbCrumbled Thu 28-Jan-16 16:17:03

A garmin is the other option so I'll have another look at those. Any suggestions on which one for a beginner?

lljkk Thu 28-Jan-16 16:18:43

Forerunner gets bandied about a lot in these discussions. You can pick them up on Ebay for under £100.

MrsHarveySpecter Thu 28-Jan-16 19:37:06

I'm marathon training at the moment but have a triathlon in the summer so have opted for the Polar M400. I've only had it a week but really like it and find it much better than my (admittedly old) Garmin Forerunner m

MrsMook Thu 28-Jan-16 22:44:35

Polar M400 here too. I bought is as a sports watch, but like the lifestyle functions too.

Madelinehatter Fri 29-Jan-16 08:28:06

Fitbit no good then? I have seen a charge at a decent price and was going to buy it. Am guessing it won't have heart rate as that is the Charge HR. I don't need accurate readings tbh but need a new watch anyway and would like to track my exercise. Does it measure calorie usage?

Should I avoid? I am not a very serious exerciser. Couple of short runs and couple of Metafit classes pw.

MrsMook Sat 30-Jan-16 08:13:51

The impression I get from people that use fitbit is that they're good for general activity, e.g. my DH would find it useful for his lunchtime walk for the sandwich shop or if you wanted a general track of classes .

I would find it less informative for my running where I may want lap funtions or to target a particular heart rate zone. My watch is rather big on my little wrist though.

They have their uses, it's just identifying what functions you want from the tracker.

Madelinehatter Sat 30-Jan-16 08:24:54

I have ordered a Charge. I need a new watch and will find it useful to keep me doing the 1000 steps a day, plus measure my ( short) runs etc.

Thanks for your views.

fitzbilly Sat 30-Jan-16 08:30:27

I have the polar 400 and it is amazing. I am a serious rubber (30 miles per week) and it only needs charging once a week, is very good at monitoring my heart rate and helping me to train harder. Loss everything and even Synchs with strava.

Have never used it to lod swims though, my triathlon friends have garmins that log the swimming well. Maybe the polar does to but I've never used that.

It is good at monitoring other sports like cycling too. To me it looks nicer than the garmins.

AMS it monitors my sleep and activity levels as well.

fitzbilly Sat 30-Jan-16 08:31:15

I couldn't effectively train without some sort of tracker and heart rate monitor.

I holy recommend you get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now