what type of aerobic exercise?

(5 Posts)
wickedfairy Sun 24-Jan-16 12:05:11

I need to tone up and get fit! I have something wrong with my heart valve too but reading up on it, advice is to do aerobic exercise for 30 mins each day, as this strengthens the heart muscle. Other than that, I appear ok.

I do Pilates once a week but nothing else. I needed to run up the street the other day but could only manage about 20secs before my heart was pounding and I was out of breath! Seriously unfit, so not quite as OK as I thought!

What would be the best type of exercise to do? Running, 30 day shred, etc? Am almost 40, size 12-14, 5'8" tall, with most of the weight around my middle.

Any advice would be greatly received, thank you!

carrie74 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:32:43

Should you get advice from your doctor first, as they may be able to suggest what kind of thing would be best for your heart condition.

Then it's all about what you fancy trying. The 30day shred can be done at home, is 25mins only (but hard work in that time!), and has fast results, but running can be done anywhere, anytime, and lots of people get the real bug for it (you could try couch to 5k to build up your fitness).

I like weights and circuits myself, not so keen on cardio, plus I think you get v fast results which is v satisfying. I use Fitness Blender at home (free, seemingly endless workouts you can do at home), with a few dumb-bells.

lljkk Sun 24-Jan-16 18:30:12

Agree with seeing doctor first.
Otherwise whatever is fun, because that's what you'll keep up regularly.

wickedfairy Tue 26-Jan-16 14:19:28

Thank you. Have decided to do c25k - did first one today and I enjoyed it. Hard as I am unfit, but that will change.

romanrainsalot Tue 26-Jan-16 14:27:56

I agree speak to Dr, and perhaps take some examples/ask for some examples as there is a big difference between high impact aerobic exercise and low impact (less out of puff, better for beginners).

Aerobics Oz Style has always been one of my faves. I'm not sure if they still show it on Sky Sports, but there are DVDs available and loads of uploads onto youtube. I liked it because it was always varied and they always had one member of the team demonstrating the low impact version. Might be worth asking your doc about something like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now