half marathon by May. Help!

(9 Posts)
saltlakecity Thu 31-Dec-15 23:42:17

Last year I did 3 half marathons (very slow. Think 3 hours 30 ish). This involved walking a lot! For various reasons I've done nothing for a few months and have now entered a half marathon in early may.
Will this plan work for the first couple of months before adding in longer runs in about March time?

Monday - rest.
Tuesday - swim.
Weds - gym.
Thursday - 3 or 4 mile run
Friday - rest
Saturday - park run 5k.
Sunday - long walk. About 10 miles.

saltlakecity Thu 31-Dec-15 23:57:00

Complicated by the fact that I'm about 5 stone overweight.

saltlakecity Fri 01-Jan-16 15:51:31

Anyone?

chutneypig Fri 01-Jan-16 16:16:26

I am absolutely no expert at all but I'd think that would work. Have you done any running at all in recent months? That'd be my only comment that maybe 3/4 miles might be something to build up to in the early weeks. And maybe to build up to the long walk too, depending how much walking you've been doing.

I guess the important thing is how you're feeling and to listen to your body.

Hopefully someone more experienced than me will pop by but I imagine you've got a very good feel with last years experience.

saltlakecity Fri 01-Jan-16 16:19:24

I'm fine with the walking. You're right that I might need to build up to the running milage. It'll involve a lot of walking though. It always has.

chutneypig Fri 01-Jan-16 16:47:12

I'm a big fan of run/walk, I know my overall time is faster for it which the faster members of my family struggle to understand. And I tend to enjoy it more. I'm hoping to build up to a half marathon this year.

Movingonmymind Fri 01-Jan-16 16:51:58

I would either change to a 10k or delay or commit to run/walk. Suggest building up to 3-4 runs a week as soon as you can.

saltlakecity Sat 02-Jan-16 09:49:20

I'm signed up to it so I'll be doing it. I'll take on board getting up to more runs. I started today. Only did 10 mins run walk sad

Movingonmymind Sat 02-Jan-16 10:58:44

Well done for starting! Chunk it- 1st week, 1st month etc. really helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now