When does the mad January rush to the gym start to tail off?

(7 Posts)
slightlyglitterpaned Tue 29-Dec-15 21:50:29

Want to start going to the gym/swimming/exercise classes in the New Year, but I know from experience that so does everyone else! So am considering just adding a bit more activity to my day (e.g. walking to work) during January and then going for more "formal" exercise when classes/gyms aren't quite so packed out.

Does it vary hugely from gym to gym? Or is the mad rush followed by limping retreat to sofa pretty much similar everywhere?

slightlyglitterpaned Tue 29-Dec-15 22:11:19

Oh, and any tips for avoiding the limping retreat to sofa myself appreciated. Part of the reason I want to go when things are a bit more normal is that I need to figure out what will fit into my somewhat limited time, and it's no fun spending most of a session waiting to get onto machines.

Sanchar Tue 29-Dec-15 22:18:38

Casting my mind back to the halcyon days before kids and I had time/energy and inclination to go to the gym......they started thinning out end of Jan, by mid Feb the majority had given up and gym was back to normal.

I'm wanting to join our local one again, I'll be going for the free weights so won't have to worry too much about machine hoggers💪

DramaAlpaca Tue 29-Dec-15 22:21:00

Our local one is usually back to normal by early February.

slightlyglitterpaned Tue 29-Dec-15 23:09:00

Thanks - I'll stick a reminder on my phone to look at gyms early Feb grin Have never touched free weights - got the impression that you had to have a partner in exercising or is that bollocks?

DS is good exercise in some ways but he isn't quite the same as a peaceful half hour in the gym.

Wolfiefan Tue 29-Dec-15 23:10:01

My exercise partner is my iPod!

suzannecaravaggio Wed 30-Dec-15 16:59:14

When does the mad January rush to the gym start to tail off

ime about 2 weeks into January

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now