running with a stitch?

(9 Posts)
Imbroglio Sun 15-Nov-15 13:16:10

I ran 10 miles today, with a stitch for about 2 miles from mile 3. It went eventually. Can anyone help with what causes a stitch and how to prevent it? It's putting me off increasing my effort because I'm worried about bringing on the pain.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 15-Nov-15 13:24:35

How much are you eating/drinking before heading out?

whatdoIget Sun 15-Nov-15 13:30:17

I think cold air can cause stitches, because people tend to breathe more shallowly in colder weather. The solution is to breathe more deeply, from the abdomen instead of the chest.

Mrsmorton Sun 15-Nov-15 13:38:01

For me, changing my breathing pattern works so eg if I breathe in on the right foot, I hold my breath for 5 strides and start breathing in on he left foot.

OurBlanche Sun 15-Nov-15 13:38:24

There is no certain cause of a stitch, there are a lot of theories.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4275830.stm

runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/side-stitches-abdominal-pain-causes-and-treatments/

These off a good best roundup of what it is and how to deal with it

Onsera3 Sun 15-Nov-15 13:42:36

I used to get sometimes running on treadmill even. I found holding hands above head to stretch out while changing breathing helped.

IndomitabIe Sun 15-Nov-15 13:43:04

I used to get terrible stitch. On a bad day, I'd get one in all 4 quadrants of my belly (sequentially, not at the same time!). My friends hardly ever do.

I don't know why, but it got a bit better as I got fitter. If I noticed it early enough and eased up/breathed carefully I could sometimes head it off.

I'm going to read those links ^

eddiemairswife Sun 15-Nov-15 13:46:49

When I was a child the usual cure for a stitch was to touch your toes to 'break' the stitch! It worked.

Imbroglio Sun 15-Nov-15 15:24:22

Thanks. This morning I had had two cups of tea and a yogurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now