ongoing sore stiff legs

(10 Posts)
Lagoonablue Fri 02-Oct-15 06:46:30

Grrrrr. Started running in Jan and was happily doing 5k 3x a week. I did get shin splints initially but after rest they mended. However since the summer have developed tight Achilles. I do stretch and warm up a bit and also cool down but they are still sore. Now my whole leg is sore, both sides. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning! The stiffness stays all day! I also have a bit of a thigh strain!

I am so fed up. Saw a physio who gave me heel dip exercise and stretches but they aren't working. Haven't run now for a week but still sore and stiff.

Oh also got gait analysis and I under pronate. Got insoles which helped a bit but now my trainers are too small! I may need new trainers now. However I can't see trainers as the main reason for these sore legs!

What on earth have I done to them! I am hobbling like an elderly lady!

MrsMook Fri 02-Oct-15 12:22:33

An osteopath or sports massage may help to remove tension from the muscles.

Insoles do reduce the volume inside shoes. I use superfeet in most of my shoes. If they have stopped the natural spread of your feet, then that won't be helping.

longdiling Fri 02-Oct-15 12:27:45

Yep, I second a sports massage. A good sports massage person will be able to give you some advice and stretches too. Pilates or yoga classes will help. Definitely get the trainers sorted, the wrong ones really can cause all sorts of problems!

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Oct-15 14:32:32

Thanks new trainers then............will seek out a sports massage person. It would be cheaper to join the gym!

cardoon Fri 02-Oct-15 14:36:43

Did you take the original soles out of the shoes before inserting the new ones?

longdiling Fri 02-Oct-15 14:45:07

Ha! Yes, that's the problem with running, it's not as cheap as it seems!

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Oct-15 23:23:40

Do I take the originals out? Doh!

Tried a run tonight. Think I have now strained a thigh and have a hamstring problem. I give up!

cardoon Sat 03-Oct-15 10:28:26

errrr, yes, or you would make the new soles go all wonky and leave very little room for your feet grin

cardoon Sat 03-Oct-15 10:29:39

Sorry about your injuries BTW - they are a real bugger

MuttonDressedAsGoose Tue 06-Oct-15 12:34:31

I had soreness in my legs (just above my knees) when I started running. What fixed it - almost instantly - was climbing a very steep hill on alternate days. If you don't have a convenient steep hill, perhaps take the stairs in a tall building?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now