Backache because of running?

(10 Posts)
GammaDelta Mon 29-Jun-15 12:36:47

I have started having lower backaches maybe because of running..
i try to maintain a straight posture but i think i am not doing a good job because i have back aches after a day or two. please advise if anyone else had this

feetheart Mon 29-Jun-15 14:46:40

Have you had your gait analysed for decent running shoes?
One of the telltale signs for me that my shoes need to be replaced is that my back and knees start to twinge.

GammaDelta Mon 29-Jun-15 17:16:26

no i haven't ...how n where do i get it done

feetheart Mon 29-Jun-15 21:49:43

Any decent running shop will offer it - is there a Sweatshop near you? Or a decent independent running shop?
Def worth having it done. Running can be quite a cheap sport ignores drawer full of funky kit bought online from USA but spending money on decent shoes is essential.

hackneylady Mon 29-Jun-15 21:50:33

Have your sacroiliac joint checked out by a physio. Mine is unstable and apparently running is about the worst thing for it.

TriJo Tue 30-Jun-15 11:56:51

Look into anterior pelvic tilt too - it can cause back issues for runners, and can generally be fixed or at least significantly improved by strength training.

GammaDelta Tue 30-Jun-15 22:51:26

hi all thanks so much for the response i will get it checked. my husband says i don't run with a straight back and tend to slouch a little while running .. can that be a cause too?

feetheart Wed 01-Jul-15 06:44:24

Maybe, maybe not.
Everyone has their own running style and some of the top athletes definitely don't have 'conventional' styles - Paula Radcliffe and Michael Johnson for example.
My physio friend says I have a very lazy but efficient running style in that I don't pick my feet up much sounds more like a shuffle. It could explain why I trip over a lot smile

Somanyvipers Thu 02-Jul-15 15:36:28

Hackneylady I love you! For years I have had a lower back pain that my GP seemed unable to diagnose. Running did seem to aggravate it, but lately I have been focusing on strength training and the pain has gone. When I saw your post I researched a bit and finally I can understand what I have been living with! Thank you so very much.

Mcnorton Thu 02-Jul-15 15:47:28

I sometimes get lower back pain after running, the older i get the more i need to do lower back stretches. I googled some and am a stickler for doing them now. I find a pilates class once a week helps too. I second the info about appropriate running shoes for your gait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now