Diastasia recti exercises?

(10 Posts)
OctonautsAgain Tue 23-Jun-15 10:27:18

I think I've got this- have lost a fair bit of weight and can now see a pot belly when I do a crunch, and can feel a 2 finger width gap between the muscles. Feel daft for not having noticed before! Could anyone recognise any good exercises, either for improving it, or that are safe to do with it?

Littlepumpkinpie Tue 23-Jun-15 10:52:08

A physio will give you the correct exercise to do normally one connected to maternity unit that works with new mums for this problem. Go to your GP or contact your consultant who cared for you seek proper advice from medical people not on a forum full of people that could cause you further damage.

OctonautsAgain Tue 23-Jun-15 12:57:37

Thanks for reply, my youngest is 2.5 so not in touch with maternity for a while! I certainly don't want anything doing about it and I'm not worried about it. Just looking for some advice about suitable exercises. I'm medical myself and not keen to burden our local services when I'm just being vain I guess smile

Littlepumpkinpie Tue 23-Jun-15 13:36:02

It's not vanity at all go to a private physio if you don't wish to burden the NHS. I've gone private for all medical care now. GP waiting for an appointment is over a week last time I went in there was a board up displaying missed appointments 700 in a week.

naturalbaby Tue 23-Jun-15 21:04:02

Plank. My gap is much better after doing boot camp 3 times a week with lots of ab work and planks in every session.
Make sure you pull your tummy in before you do ab exercises - think belly button to spine.
The Mu Tu system looks very good. I didn't sign up as I had the boot camp but there is a lot of good advice on the website.

Birgitz Tue 23-Jun-15 21:09:49

I went on a 6 week course as I had a 2 finger gap (now 1/2 finger). She told us the worst things you could do were the plank and sit ups as these make your stomach 'bulge' out through the gap and make it get wider. I tried doing exercises from a book, but found them too difficult to follow, so the course was a great solution for me. We did lots of gentle exercises which involved breathing and drawing in the core muscles whilst breathing out. The programme was based around The Burrell technique.

PacificDogwood Tue 23-Jun-15 21:12:53

Yes, I second MuTu - lots of good (and some free!) advice on the website.

Avoid sit-ups at all cost.

I am currently seeing a private physio for core work and an NHS Women's Health physio specifically re my pelvic floor (in an attempt to avoid surgery).

Pilates can also be good - always be aware of your core and engage you deep stomach muscles before you move.

DeathMetalMum Tue 23-Jun-15 21:16:20

Watching as I also have a gap.

OctonautsAgain Tue 23-Jun-15 22:12:58

Thanks all. I've been doing sit ups as part of the losing weight drive, so alas may well have made things worse. Will research Mu Tu and see if I can find out what's available locally from physios.
I only really became aware of it when I was doing one of the Shred exercises and realised my tummy actually bulges outwards when I left my legs up and down. I'd previously assumed it was just flabby post kids loose skin and trashed tummy.

OctonautsAgain Tue 23-Jun-15 22:13:29

Lift my legs even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now