Kettlebells question

(10 Posts)
ludovica Tue 26-May-15 18:35:56

I am thinking of trying a kettlebells dvd but I don't know what weight to start with. What would be a reasonable weight for a total beginner? The only weights I currently use are 2kg dumbells. I can't get to a class so I am a bit clueless.

NotReallyAPrincess Tue 26-May-15 18:38:37

The lowest my gym has is 4kg. You might be able to swing a 6kg or 8kg - the momentum of swinging carries the weight a bit so you can go a bit heavier.

I love kettlebells grin

ludovica Tue 26-May-15 19:40:21

Thanks. Everybody seems to rave about them which is why I want to try them! 6 or 8kg sound a bit terrifying to me. Is it easy to get the hang of?

ludovica Thu 28-May-15 12:57:50

I have ordered an 8kg one!

ProfYaffle Thu 28-May-15 13:01:21

8kg is massive! I've got a set of 4, 6 and 8 kg, I mainly use the 4kg with the odd bit of 6kg thrown in. The 8kg is gathering dust upstairs!

I can recommend Paul Katami DVDs by the way.

ludovica Thu 28-May-15 13:49:27

Agh! I watched some youtube videos and last night I was trying out some of the moves with a 4.5kg dumbell which I found quite easy (apart from not being able to hold onto it very easily) so I thought I should try something bigger. I don't know if I will be waving the 8kg one above my head to begin with.

I did look at the sets but they were mainly vinyl and I wanted cast iron as my dumbells are vinyl and they are huge. Maybe I should order a smaller one too.

It was the Paul Katami DVD I was looking at buying - thanks!

ProfYaffle Thu 28-May-15 14:48:04

I've got cast iron too. I find that using a heavy weight for one exercise is one thing but using it over a whole workout is too much. Using the 6kg weight throws my form out and I end up using my back etc which risks injury.

I started with the beginner's DVD in January and now use Kombos and Drills. After doing the first tutorial on the beginner's workout I couldn't walk downstairs! You adapt very quickly though.

mimiasovitch Fri 29-May-15 13:44:00

I have the Kettlercise dvd, and use a 5kg weight. It's light for some of the exercises, but really heavy for others. You don't put it down at all during the session, so it's not practical to change weight. I think a 4 would be fine to start. It's such a great workout for the whole body. I love feeling aches where I didn't even know I had muscles!

BistoBear Fri 29-May-15 13:47:03

I use 4kg for the single arm exercises (biceps curls and single shoulder presses etc.) and 6kg for the two arm exercises.

HolgerDanske Mon 01-Jun-15 08:21:02

I would start out with a 4kg until you're fairly confident - good form is more important than heavy weight. But your strength will increase fairly quickly so you'll need the 8kg sooner than you think smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now