Any spare motivation/confidence for exercise newbie, please send some my way!

(12 Posts)
FeelMyAge Wed 20-May-15 16:36:13

I really, really want to exercise and enjoy it - at this point I don't even mind if I don't enjoy it, just need a kick up the bum/bit of confidence to actually do something!

Bit of background - am mid 30s, never exercised, work ft and have dcs so quite short on time, slim so definitely don't need to lose any weight, am lazy, am the master of putting things off, have asthma. Now for the embarrassing but most crucial part - I have and have had an as of yet completely unused gym membership for about the last 18 months! I am paying £30 a month for unlimited use of a gym which is literally a 2 minute walk away, it has excellent facilities from what I can see, I went for my induction 18 months ago and it was a lovely place with lovely people of all sizes and ages there. I have correct footwear and correct bra, I have an hour or two most evenings free, I have no body issues, I have no reason not to just bite the bullet and go! I am absolutely petrified of exercise and not being able to do it properly. Tried an exercise class once but hated every moment of it as everyone else could keep up and knew what the routine was and I just stood at the back looking stupid (literally stood, frozen to the spot!) I enjoyed the weight machines and the treadmill/bike when I was shown them at my induction, if I had the trainer standing beside me holding my hand all the time I think I'd probably go everyday.

I am starting to get chest infection after chest infection, feel tired a lot and very unfit and a lot older than what I am.

Please give me hints/tips/success stories to help me get over the feeling that I can't do it, I really did enjoy my induction but when I went the next time and had to just get on with the routine myself I left after about 5 minutes as I was worried that I looked silly because I couldn't remember how to even set the timer on the warm up bike! I'm a grown up, I have a house and a family and everything, I can't let a few machines beat me!

itsveryyou Wed 20-May-15 16:45:00

I think the first thing is to remember why you're going and to applaud yourself for wanting to be as fit and healthy as you can be. How about booking a few personal trainer sessions to ''hand hold' until you're confident to go it alone?

The first few times I do a new class, I am literally like Miranda, falling all over the place and free-styling at the back like a buffoon - but I always let the instructor know so they can help me out, or I stalk someone who looks like they know what they're doing - ask if you can shadow them...good way to make friends! If you lose your place or you mess up the steps, just keep moving - any good instructor will tell you that - and also, give a new class at least three tries before you ditch it. Body pump is great as there's little or no footwork!

My own little personal success story is that yesterday, a new instructor complimented me on my form during class, which was amazing for me, as when I first started this particular class, I nearly threw up and fell over several times!

Other thing to remember is that honestly, in the nicest way possible, no one will be looking at you in the gym, as they're there for their own reasons and to work on their fitness. What's the worst that could happen if you can't work the equipment? Just ask a trainer to help you - there's no shame in asking for help!

FeelMyAge Wed 20-May-15 18:15:06

Thank you for your reply.

Well done on your achievement yesterday! I totally get the Miranda reference, that's exactly what I imagine I looked like, only with less grace to pull it off if that's possible!

Everything that you have said makes perfect sense - no-one cares what I'm doing and the instructors are there to help. The answer to "what's the worst that could happen ...?" ermm I have to ask someone to show me how to use it again. Thinking logically about it every single thing that I do I've had to learn because people are not just born knowing how to do things. Silly example but 30 years ago I didn't know my times tables, they're second nature now!

itsveryyou Fri 22-May-15 17:02:19

feelmyage you inspired me to do a class yesterday which I haven't done in a while - let's just say, there was a lot of unnecessary galloping going on...but it was fun!

FeelMyAge Fri 22-May-15 21:30:38

Galloping is a form of exercise though grin

On the back of your last post I WILL ring the gym tomorrow morning and ask can I go in to have a fresh induction and then explain to the instructor that I need just that - simple instructions to start off with until I find my feet.

BlueChampagne Fri 22-May-15 21:58:17

Once you find something to start with, routine is the key, along with achievable goals. I'm now a mid 40s asthmatic running half marathons, but not without training. Have you had an asthma review recently? If not, it might be an idea, and tell them you're planning to do more exercise.

If a few sessions with a personal trainer is within the budget, this might help your confidence. Otherwise try C25k, and join a thread for encouragement.

I'm sure you'll find you have fewer chest infections and will feel better if you stick at it. Maybe an adult reward chart?!

FeelMyAge Fri 22-May-15 22:21:44

Had an asthma review about 2 months ago, is one of the main reasons that I'd like to start proper exercise. I agree that if I improve my fitness I'll probably have fewer chest infections and general bugs and illness.

I'd really prefer sessions with a personal trainer just to get used to what I should be doing and making sure that I'm doing it right, always assumed they were really expensive though, any idea approx. how much a session would cost?

I always read the C25k threads and I love seeing posters progress, it looks very do-able, building up slowly.

itsveryyou Fri 22-May-15 22:46:51

Brilliant, go for it! We ran today (something I used to think I 'couldn't' do) and DH and I did 5 miles in under an hour - whoop! Discovered afterwards that there was a coyote (we live in the US) in the neighbourhood when we were running - think my pace may have been faster, had I have known that!

FeelMyAge Tue 26-May-15 23:52:18

Wow, 5 miles in any time seems like a far away goal for me!

I have my 'induction' (can't really call it an induction as I've already had one!) tomorrow morning. Part of me is looking forward to it while the other part of me is getting that feeling of fear and dread! I know that a few weeks of going I will be fine, I just have to force myself to walk through the doors for the next few weeks. It's gone on so long that I'm not actually sure what I'm nervous about now, think it's the machine thingblush

FeelMyAge Wed 27-May-15 14:23:09

I've done it! grin I'm so happy!

Nice, easy , 60 minute routine from the trainer involving the bike, treadmill, cross trainer, arm weigh machine thing and leg weight machine thing. I absolutely loved it! (They have new machines, if I can learn to set one I can set them all because they're all basically the same to programme them!)

Enjoyed it so much that I may even go back wink

FeelMyAge Thu 28-May-15 16:33:03

Day 2 and I feel as though I've been going to the gym for years! Still struggled a little trying to remember what level I should've been on and how to set it but I asked the trainer and she came and showed me.

I can't believe I've wasted all that time over a silly thing! No-one batted an eyelid, no-one looked at me (was quite empty in there, I was the only woman amongst maybe 8/10 big burly men), had a nice little chat about what supermarket had offers on nappies this week whilst doing my cool down stretches and as an added bonus I'm a lot fitter than what I thought and I didn't die!

The worst bit was figuring out how to turn the tv over because I'm not a fan of sky sports!

Maybe the novelty will wear off, maybe it won't and I'll get full use of my membership, who knows?

carrie74 Fri 29-May-15 12:57:57

That's fantastic, well done! Eventually you'll find your mojo in the gym and head for the things that make you comfortable. I find the hardest thing with exercise is actually getting out the door, so just make sure you keep on doing it. And after 6 weeks, make another appointment for a review of your routine so you keep challenging yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now