Tell me your gym work out

(5 Posts)
BoobooOnOverload Mon 18-May-15 11:28:57

Mine is:
10 mins treadmill
3 different weight machine thingys (still can't remember what they're called)
10 mins bike

There's some crunches that are supposed to be in there but haven't quite build up the courage to do those in public yet.

I can only get to the gym around twice a week and I feel like it's not enough with what I'm doing.

Been going for about a month a lost 3lbs (I'm taking that as a win as I have a lot of weak muscle to rebuild and am definitely feeling the difference)
BUT I managed to put it back on after 10 days absence due to hormonal self pity and carbs.. A lot of carbs hmm

Any way long story short I'm just being nosey as to what others do in the gym hoping to find some inspiration to add to my work out smile

avocadotoast Mon 18-May-15 11:34:58

What do you do when you're on the bike and treadmill? As in, are you pushing hard or just gently jogging?

When I went to a gym I met with a member of staff there and she put together a weights programme for me. It was divided into core, legs and arms. I'd either do core and legs, or core and arms (which would take about 25 mins) and do some high intensity cardio as well. Usually I'd do it on the treadmill and alternate a minute walking with a minute sprinting for about 15-20 mins.

avocadotoast Mon 18-May-15 11:36:17

Oh - and I always found free weights (kettlebells, dumbbells, medicine balls etc) a lot more enjoyable than the fixed machines as well smile

louloubelle2 Mon 18-May-15 12:59:03

Its difficult to compare against other people as it really depends on your level of fitness, and whether you are looking to lose weight and how much etc.

What you describe sounds like a very basic beginners programme, and you sound like you are capable of doing a bit more, which you should as you won't lose much weight on that programme alone.

Personally, I'd use your limited gym time to do more weight training. Only use the bike or treadmill for a warm up at the start, not for cardio. You really need to get one of the trainers to show you some more machines, but as a pp said, free weights will give you a better all round workout as they work more muscles at once. If you really don't want to ask someone, then there is loads you can learn on youtube and google. You need to do something like 3 sets of 10 reps, or 4 sets of 8 reps with a weight that is heavy enough but manageable without risking injury or breaking form.

Then I'd up the cardio at home, either with a DVD or youtube again. Search for Fitness Blender, they do hundreds of workouts ranging from 10mins-1hr, are really easy to follow and don't need any special equipment.

The real weight loss will come from a good diet though, especially if you have a bit to lose. Ditch those carbs, especially in the evening, and eat more protein, particularly on gym days.

oneofthosedays Mon 18-May-15 16:42:06

I do a gentle warm up on the bike for 6 mins then 6 mins on a higher level alternating 30 secs fast then 30 secs normal pace.

Then I move onto weights, 12.5kg barbell x10 clean and press, x10 barbell row, x10 squat/shoulder type exercise (name escapes me hmm ), x10 exercise ball press ups, x10 ball jacks. Repeat all 6 times. I've added more weight as I've got fitter and also with the exercise ball started with it at my knees and am working out towards my ankles to make it harder.

Then either bike or cross trainer for 20 mins on an interval type programme. Then 5 mins on the bike or treadmill to cool down.

All in all it takes 1hr 15min which is plenty for me, I dislike the gym so try not to go more than once a week and do classes instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now