Runners - what do you do about shin pain

(13 Posts)
Naicecuppatea Mon 11-May-15 10:53:58

Been running regularly since Jan, approx. 4 miles 3 times a week so not huge distances. I have got some shin pain which is not stopping me running yet as I can only feel the occasional twinge when running and when resting. But if I touch the actual shin bone and put pressure on myself it bloody hurts.

Any suggestions very welcome.

louloubelle2 Mon 11-May-15 16:36:32

Sounds like shin splints, usually caused by the wrong running shoes, or your body not being ready to run the distance, or your running style. Or a combination of all of them. It may get worse if you don't address it and could prevent you from running completely.

Go to a professional running shop and get them to fit you with the correct type of running shoe. If you can't afford them, get last years version online for about half the price. If you're running regularly, then you should really be prepared to invest in something decent.

Make sure you do a proper warm up, including stretches before you leave the house.

Slow down, or run shorter distances for a few weeks. Do a combination of walking and running. Gradually build it back up slowly.

Metaphors Mon 11-May-15 16:46:18

Shin splints are an over use injury really, far more likely to be from doing too much too soon than from the wrong shoes, especially if you're "only" running 4 miles 3 times a week, it's not enough for the shoes to be that important IMO.

Shin splint aren't as serious as they sound, it's an inflammation of the soft casing around the tibia and will recover with a few days rest.....but you do need to rest I'm afraid.

Shoes will be important as you build up but ATM the most important thing is to rest then build up very slowly. No more than 5% increase in total mileage per week.

Naicecuppatea Mon 11-May-15 17:06:22

Thanks both. Really helpful. I have been recently fitted for shoes so I don't think they are the problem. I think the aggravating factor might be increased speed and not stretching very well before hand. I have just bought a foam roller to try and help with it too.

99redbaboons Mon 11-May-15 18:00:44

You should take a two week break first of all. Shin splints are now thought to be bone rather than soft tissue damage.

I think you're right about the shoes not being the issue but your gait might be contributing - overstraining perhaps - that put excess stress on the shin.

When you resume, cut right back on the distance you run each time (2 miles) and then try to build back up slowly.

Keep up the frequency of your runs, but make sure you don't increase the weekly distance too much each time - I think the figure is something like 10% per week (but ready to be corrected) until you get to the distance you desire - pull back if the pain returns though!

If you persist you may run the risk of a stress fracture so listen to your body. Hope you recover soon.

99redbaboons Mon 11-May-15 18:01:30

sorry that should be overstriding (damn you autocorrect)!

Variousrandomthings Mon 11-May-15 18:05:53

Get your gait checked at a running shop and take advise on which shoes to buy.

Buy a special roller or a spiky ball and use it on those tight spots in your legs.

Warm up and down

Have rest days

Variousrandomthings Mon 11-May-15 18:07:09

Also consider if your arches collapse when running - you might need arch support.

See a podiatrist if all else fails

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 11-May-15 18:13:19

Oh OP you have my sympathies! I got them last summer. I was so proud of the fact if built myself up to a non-stop 5K on the treadmill and sometimes more. Then the fucking splints put an end to the running and it has taken me ages to get back on the horse, and I'm still not back up to being able to cope with 5K blush

Give yourself a rest and then go back in slooooowly.

CooCooCachoo Mon 11-May-15 22:32:40

I feel your pain! I'm in exactly the same boat, having also started running in January. I run between 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week. I did get up to about 10k twice a week and a shorter third run which was when the pain started. I dialled it right back to 5ks after a good two week rest. If I attempt to get beyond 5k, or run on consecutive days though, the pain can be unbearable just after I stop - it's sooo frustrating, I could (and have) cry!

I'm trying to limit myself to shorter runs which are twingey rather than painful and hope that just the longer I do it, the stronger my legs will get.

It's seems like such a crappy reward for having the commitment to keep going. I've dove a lot if sport in the past and been really good and very fit and hardly ever been injured, but running is like nothing else, it feels like you really have to listen to your body when things get twingey if it can turn into something quite painful rather quickly!

Persevere though, we'll get there!!

CooCooCachoo Mon 11-May-15 22:36:07

Done not dove and as it can turn, not if! Pff!

Also tried new shoes BTW, from a good running shop with decent advice on type etc....made not a blind bit of difference to the pain!

MrsMook Tue 12-May-15 08:20:06

Shin splints got me within a couple of minutes when I was at school in my High St shop trainers. My arches need a high level of support, even for walking. Starting C25k in decent trainers was no issue.

It's good to vary runs rather than the same runs repeated each week. Training plans for events will drop the intensity every few weeks to allow the body to recover.

ChrissieLatham Sun 17-May-15 22:44:12

I got shin splints last time I started c25k just on my first run so had to give up sad
This time I have tried running more on my heels than the front of my feet and touch wood no problems so far

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now