So I haven't been to a gym for years what can I do

(7 Posts)
HalleLouja Thu 24-Jul-14 11:27:35

I am fit just not been to a gym for about 5 years. I already run and wouldn't run on a treadmill anyway.

Am thinking a warm up (walking on an incline on running machine), rowing, cross trainer and some weights. But not sure what the best thing to do on weights is.

Maybe its best to ask one of the instructors there. Was just going to give it a try tomorrow.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 24-Jul-14 11:38:53

Have a look at the nike training club ap for brilliant weights routines.

sebsmummy1 Thu 24-Jul-14 11:42:57

I would recommend classes if they are available to you. I think you push yourself harder in a class than you do in a gym setting. I do three sessions of spin a week, kettle bells, three sessions of pilates and swimming. You would be amazed how hard pilates is if you have a decent teacher and spin is as intense as you want to make it.

HalleLouja Thu 24-Jul-14 11:48:33

I do classes normally - HIIT, body conditioning and pilates. I just have a spare moment of time I could go to the gym and use the equipment when there are no classes.

I might try some of the things I do in classes in the gym. Will also look at the Nike Training ap to see what is there.

changeeverything Thu 24-Jul-14 11:54:37

Check if any of this months women's fitness mags have weights workout plans... Then you can check the form for each movement with weights.

Weighted squats and lunges for legs are good. Shoulder presses etc for upper body.

Shockers Thu 24-Jul-14 12:02:48

I share personal training sessions with a friend. It's great!

sebsmummy1 Thu 24-Jul-14 12:20:41

Aaah in that case definitely free weights. If you could afford it a personal training session fortnightly or monthly would give you a routine and then adapt as you get stronger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now