Yoga injury?!

(10 Posts)

I am beyond pissed off. After several failed attempts over the years, I started doing yoga earlier this year and found that I really enjoy hot yoga. Did the 1 month sign up thing, fantastic. Easter away, now I've signed a two month deal. I also kickbox and weight train but now i appear to have sustained an injury in yoga...the irony!.....background, I got a dead leg sparring ten days earlier, but it felt better. Did a yoga class on Wednesday, was fine, then mid afternoon, my left quad sort of went into spasm and felt like the worst DOMs ever. It felt a bit better by Friday morning after taking a rest day on Thursday, so I did another yoga class and felt ok but since then it has been so painful. I don't think I over stretched, I suspect I may have overdone a balancing pose. Anyone had this and/or have any view on whether I should be resting/working through it?

Suzannewithaplan Sun 11-May-14 14:57:32

Sleep, maybe something you did in the yoga class triggered something that initially started in kickboxing? (or some other activity even)

In those kinds of situations I usually just play it by ear, avoid things that hurt try to stretch it ect.

Generally speaking I find stretching helpful, can you do something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-VIL2RqXes
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag5Pi6moQUM
at home to stretch the quad?

EBearhug Sun 11-May-14 15:00:32

Speak to your teacher. My yoga class has a whole list of existing injuries, some more chronic than others, and most poses will have modifications if you need to be careful with one area (knees in my case.)

Thanks, it does feel as if it's kind of re-awoken the dead leg if that makes sense. Stretched a lot last night but it hasn't helped so maybe leaving it alone is best. Going to hit the gym and just work upper body smile

Suzannewithaplan Sun 11-May-14 15:27:47

I think long term exercisers kind of know when an injury is going to get better on it's own and when to get a diagnosis?

Then again the tendency to ignore pain and carry on regardless may go against better judgement!

(disclaimer-I have no personal experience of 'wounded in combat' situations blush)

grin I was only reading the other day about exercise addiction, basically how the hormones the body produces to kill pain during exercise are more powerful than morphine...ie don't kid yourself that if you train whilst injured and think it's ok cos it stops hurting while training that it's all fine!

Not that I am addicted of course!

Suzannewithaplan Sun 11-May-14 15:58:53

I remember having sciatica from a prolapsed disk, the pain would melt away as soon as I got to the gym!

Yep, looking at you then wink!

Suzannewithaplan Sun 11-May-14 16:07:43

shockblushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now