Going from 6 miles to half marathon?

(8 Posts)
kaizen Thu 27-Mar-14 12:33:26

You'll be fine as I did the same two years ago and it wasn't that difficult to build up the distance.

Just one word of warning - don't increase the distance by more than 10% a week until you find out if you are an injury-prone runner. I was fine at 10k's but started to get niggles on longer, more regular runs (achilles, shins, etc). This has just happened to a friend of mine who is a newish runner going from 10k to Half marathon distance. She is now training on niggling injuries.

I would do what BikeRunSki does and mix it up a bit with distances as you have plenty of time until September. Some of the 12 week schedules are a bit steep injury-wise.

Just as an aside, I have a friend who has been running all distances for many years and is a coach. She reckons you should have a couple of years of running in your legs before doing marathons etc if you want to avoid injury, as it takes time to condition your body to a sport. Obviously some people are lucky though and have good running 'form' and can avoid injury.

BikeRunSki Tue 25-Mar-14 21:22:00

I am in the middle of training for my first half marathon, from doing 10Ks for years.

Every month I do a long run that is a mile longer than the previous month and do this a few times over the month, mixed in with some short (5K ish), fast runs and some 10ks.

Rigid training schedules don't really work for me, as DH is away a lot, my work load is irregular and I have a 2 yo and 5 yo and no one to babysit.

I am up to 11 miles now, aim is 12 miles by Easter, ready for HM in mid May.

ThursdayLast Tue 25-Mar-14 21:14:57

I hope so too MandMand, because that's what I'm planning on doing too grin
I went a bit mad this morning and ended up doing 10 miles shock so I figure the jump from 10 to 13 shouldn't be too bad???
Good luck! Keep us posted smile

MandMand Tue 25-Mar-14 12:47:33

OK, thanks for the encouragement, I've just been online and signed up for the Robin Hood Half Marathon! Apparently it's a smooth fairly flat route, so probably a good one for a first timer

I ran another 6 miles this morning without any problem, so will start to work on increasing the distance. Wish me luck!

EauRouge Mon 24-Mar-14 12:23:28

Absolutely realistic! I know it sounds silly, but from 6-10 miles I didn't notice an awful lot of difference. Once you get into your rhythm then the miles just disappear. I did my first HM a few weeks ago and this time last year I was still on C25k. The last mile was tough but up until then it wasn't so bad. I think it's more psychological- 13 miles sounds like a really long way, but it doesn't feel like you're doing more than 6 miles twice. Even though you are grin

vladthedisorganised Mon 24-Mar-14 12:22:12

I hope so - that's what I've done! smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 24-Mar-14 12:18:32

Well done! Its a very realistic target to do a HM in September, the training plans are 12 weeks. I used a Womens Running mag one for my first half last year (started running in May last year, 1st HM in Sept) and adapted it for the one I did yesterday.

If you targeted a 10km race in late June, then that would put you in a great place for the mile ramp up for the HM, and give you lots of speedwork time in the interim.

MandMand Mon 24-Mar-14 12:11:32

I'm on such a high from finishing my first 6 mile race in under an hour yesterday, that I'm seriously thinking about signing up for a half marathon in September.

I know this should give me plenty of time to train properly, but I wondered if anyone had found this a big step up, or is a realistic target? I only started running less than a year ago, so I don't want to attempt too much too soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now