Adult one-to-one swimming lessons

(16 Posts)
CandyFloss4 Sat 29-Mar-14 16:38:57

Hello violetsrblue

Thanks for your encouraging post and well done with your swimming. I wish I had learnt as a child but my parents can't swim and I only went with school. I did try group swimming lessons as an adult but it was a waste of time and money.

So I will continue with the one-to-one lessons.

violetsrblue Sat 29-Mar-14 11:05:28

I learned to swim as an adult, I am in my fifties. It's taken much longer than I thought it would (about three years) and I am still a bit nervous of the deep end but overcoming that. I can swim a length now, both ways. I did spend the first year with floats and armbands but a massive breakthrough was learning to put my head under and breathe out into the water, then being able do a mushroom float (then I could truly trust the water to hold me up).

I did a lot of practise on my own between lessons, often feeling a bit self-conscious but once I'd started I felt driven to carry on! When I had the breakthroughs it was the best feeling and overwrote a lot of bad memories from school swimming lessons. Good luck with it, persevere and be kind and patient with yourself!

CandyFloss4 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:38:40

And bought a swimming costume I felt comfortable in!

CandyFloss4 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:37:09

I also felt very nervous but once I'd met my instructor and had my first lesson, I felt a lot better.

CandyFloss4 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:35:08

Our local leisure centre had an offer on for 6 weeks, half hour lessons at £99. I am going to continue my lessons with the same instructor and pay weekly.

SwimmingMom Thu 27-Mar-14 14:55:52

Most pools in LC or private clubs will have some swim lessons - either group or 1-2-1. If they only have group you need to approach that instructor & ask if they will do 1-2-1 with you.

As an adult beginner a group lesson is not very effective & I wouldn't suggest it. I did it 2 terms & only became comfortable in water but didn't learn anything serious in terms of strokes or technique. Waste of time. But it's ok as an 'improver' or 'advanced' swimmer to do group lessons.

theyoniwayisnorthwards Thu 27-Mar-14 02:06:55

Hi, sorry to hijack but can I ask how you found your instructor? I would really like to learn and I'm nervous and embarrassed!

CandyFloss4 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:03:41

Thanks for the encouragement SwimmingMom. Yes, my instructor is in the pool with me. And well done!

SwimmingMom Tue 25-Mar-14 08:49:23

Candy - am glad if its helped. Does your instructor get in the pool with you? Sometimes it helps to see someone do something & you just repeat it. Ask your instructor if they aren't doing this already.

I've now started doing 1000m in every swim session. Unbelievable compared to what I could(not) do 2 years ago. I hope this gives you some hope that its achievable!

CandyFloss4 Sun 23-Mar-14 20:15:50

Hello and thanks for your reply SwimmingMom. My instructor also recommended You Tube and it has been helpful. And yes, my feet do reach the bottom of the pool and the water comes up to my shoulders.

My instructor is very patient with me and very encouraging which really does make a difference.

CandyFloss4 Sun 23-Mar-14 20:08:03

Hello Logg

I must say I haven't really, as the moment my feet lift up and I do my arms I'm busy concentrating! I will give it a go.

Thank you.

SwimmingMom Sun 23-Mar-14 20:00:54

Candy - I would suggest that apart from all the good advice you have here, do practice a bit on your own between lessons. Sometimes things just 'click' when you try them with no pressure & no one watching. Look at videos on YouTube, write down different tips for floating & practice them tirelessly. What seems possible one day, may come about very easily on another day. Don't give up! It's not that hard, but can't be done without determination & practise!

I learnt to swim a year ago. It took me nearly a year to swim front crawl very well from one end to the other. Then I tried breast stroke & learnt it in 2 days. Now I feel that my body works more in sync with the latter & perhaps I should have learnt this first!! So try different strokes & find the one that comes easily. Master that and then move to others.

I hope you are learning in a pool where your feet can reach the bottom anytime you panic?!

And yes - I second no floats! Use other aids like the noodle or small float to practise kicks.

Good luck, am sure you'll conquer your fears in no time!

Logg1e Sun 23-Mar-14 19:53:04

I hesitate to add to the expert advice just given, but i wonder if this idea helps. Have you tried leaning forward (feet on the floor or not) and paid attention to how your chest floats with your lungs full of air? I found this fascinating as a learner, no magic or complexity, just simple, straight forward buoyancy.

CandyFloss4 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:49:19

Hello and thank you so much for replying. I have been moving my legs up and down. I did try going on my back in my first lesson but I felt too scared.

The problem I have is with my confidence. My instructor says I can do it but the moment my feet lift up I panic and am worried that I'm going to fall into the water. I know this is daft as my instructor is supporting me as well as my woggles!

I will keep at it as I really want to swim with my family.

Buckteethjeff Sun 23-Mar-14 19:13:21

Hello candy!

I'm a swimming instructor. Some adults really struggle to get their feet up! because their bran tells them they are going to fall on the floor!

You need to learn how to float first. The basis of all swimmng is floating. Women are better at this than men because of fat in boobs and bum!

Have you tried floating on your back with a noodle ? The noodle will be place around your back and hold on to the ends.At first you don't fully have to lie back, you can almost sit in a seated position with your feet raised, gradually raiding your pelvis till you are leaning back. Your instructor can stand behind you, do you can lean on her for support.

Practice floating on your front by placing noodle around your tummy , under your arms and hold in to the wall, gradually lift on leg up, then another. You have to engage your tummy muscles for this. Eventually stretching your arms out so you are lay on your front in a straight line, with your chin as close to the water as you can.

Do you have excess to a pool with large steps? Not the metal ones you climb down , these can be a great tool for balancing and leari g how to float. Walking along the steps in shallow water, letting the water boyency push your weight up naturally as that's the feeling you need to feel. Practice star shapes with your legs, practice just lying back relaxing with the noodle.

Leg kicking and arm movement have to come after body position has been leaned otherwise, you end up hop, skipping and scrabbling to the side.

I'm my experience arm bands don't really aid adults, they just get in the bloody way, but by all means try them!

Have you manages to kick your legs with instructor? Did you kick up and down or breaststroke style ?

Well done by the way!!!!!

CandyFloss4 Sun 23-Mar-14 15:14:01

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about learning how to swim. I have recently started one-to-one lessons at our local pool. So far, I have had 5 half hour lessons each week. My main problem is confidence when lifting my feet off the bottom to get into position to swim and also swimming into open water, moving away from the wall. I have currently been using 1 or 2 woggles for support but my instructor says maybe to try arm bands to help with my confidence next week.

I would love to be able to swim and join in with my children and husband.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now