Running again after mild pneumonia

(5 Posts)
matana Sat 22-Mar-14 22:36:21

Thanks for your advice. I was told not to do anything until I was completely better but to be honest I thought by now I would be. The pain isn't excruciating, it's more the breathlessness that's bothering me. I don't understand how I can still feel like this when my chest is apparently now clear of infection. Walking upstairs or doing anything in a hurry leaves me out of breath. But maybe I just need to be patient and as you say begin by walking rather than running.

LordEmsworth Sat 22-Mar-14 20:44:25

Sorry, I meant - did you specifically ask them about exercise / running? Generally, running through pain is not good; but I have no medical training so wouldn't assume it's a no in this case. Can you get a phone appointment to discuss it with them?

In the meantime - how are you with walking? I'd be tempted to take it right back to zero, and stop at the first sign of pain. If fast walking is ok, then a short, slow run to test; building up gradually. The breathlessness might ease with cardio, but it might not - and if walking/running makes it worse I'd ease off a bit until I found the level where I could work consistently without wanting to die!

If the breathlessness / pain happen even when walking at a normal pace, my guess would be that there's still a problem and you need more rest and/or treatment. But personally I'd be back at the GPs sooner - 8 weeks of pain is unreasonable to expect someone to just put up with...

matana Sat 22-Mar-14 19:50:34

The GP sent me for the chest xray but said if it was clear and the pain doesn't improve I need to go back in 6 to 8 weeks which is such a long time to wait....

LordEmsworth Sat 22-Mar-14 19:23:04

Have you spoken to your GP? In your situation, I'd want their all clear before I started training again

matana Sat 22-Mar-14 18:16:05

I was training for my first sprint triathlon until getting hit by bacterial pneumonia about 6 weeks ago which took 2 lots of antibiotics to shift. I wasn't hospitalised but still have some pain in the right hand side of my chest. Xray is clear, but still very breathless. The triathlon is in July and my mind is really willing to start running again. I feel overweight and need to start exercising again. But my lung capacity feels bloody awful. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? I was starting from zero fitness to begin with, but felt so good until this happened. I'm desperate to start training again but have no confidence in my lungs. I went swimming with my little boy today and struggled to breathe properly just swimming for fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now