Which charity requests the lowest sponsorship for the Great North Run?

(7 Posts)
Stealthfart Sat 22-Mar-14 07:13:58

I have told my friend I will run the GNR with her this year as she wants to raise money for her chosen charity. I really want to support her but I am put off by the high sponsorship thresholds for most of them. I have worked my way through the ones that are important to me and can't find anything under £350 which is too much. I walked the 3 Peaks a few months ago and not only did I not enjoy pestering my nearest and dearest but also it is too soon to ask again, people get sick of relentless fundraising.

Can any of you suggest a good charity with a sponsorship limit under £250 please?

Help, I am desperate and I think she wants me to do the same as her which is £400!

Thanks lots.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 22-Mar-14 07:23:32

Can't you do the run and get sponsorship yourself?

Stealthfart Sat 22-Mar-14 08:43:16

Yes I want to run but I don't want to have to raise £400 when I recently did a different fundraiser iyswim. If I can find a charity that is in the GNR but has a lower fundraising threshold I can do it. Just wondered if anyone else is running it and can suggest charities with lower sponsorship amounts. Ta much.

fascicle Sat 22-Mar-14 09:09:17

not only did I not enjoy pestering my nearest and dearest but also it is too soon to ask again, people get sick of relentless fundraising.

Fundraising does not have to involve friends and family. There are lots of other ways to raise funds e.g. through events, businesses etc - google 'fundraising ideas'.

Alternatively, could you support your friend by going with her and cheering her on?

Christelle2207 Sat 22-Mar-14 09:15:04

Are you too late to go in the ballot? I did and raised money anyway but didn't have a minimum amount. People may be more generous than you expect though- when I did it I managed to raise 1100 or so. Good for you!

I got a ballot place last year. It wasn't linked to any charity although we did the run for the myasthenia gravis association. I would look into the ballot first. And the good news is if you enjoy it this year you have a priority place for next year! And charities often have late spaces with people dropping out that I can't imagine have the same fundraising requirements.

Stealthfart Sun 23-Mar-14 09:49:35

Ah ok I will have another look at the ballot. I know I missed the open entry by one day so unless I get a spot from someone dropping out I don't think I will be in. If the charities only wanted, say, £150 I would enter today. I know they have high minimum sponsorships because it is so popular so I can't really blame them. I might just need to be more organised and get ready for 2015 instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now