Bikram Yoga

(7 Posts)
BigFairy Thu 20-Mar-14 17:47:28

Has anyone done Bikram yoga? I'm curious about the results as I've heard it's supposed to be very good for losing weight. It's quite expensive though so just wondering what experiences people have had. Thanks. Btw - I realise diet is most important in losing weight but interested in what exercise would help and also suit me.

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 16:18:31

I've not, but I do a lot of yoga
its yoga, not a weight loss method - if you eat too much, no amount of yoga will make you slim

it will make you toned and bendy though

FreckledLeopard Thu 27-Mar-14 16:20:14

I love Bikram! I think it's worth the extra cost, as I find it a real work out and from what I gather from others who practise and have used heart rate monitors etc during class, it does burn an awful lot of calories and is a good cardiovascular form of exercise.

I see people who practise regularly (at least three times a week) and none of them are overweight either!

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 16:59:31

shame about Mr Bikram though wink

EmpireBiscuit Thu 27-Mar-14 19:44:06

I love bikram. I started going when I hurt my knee and couldn't run for a while. I changed shape but did put a small amount of weight on.

I don't think you should pin your weight loss hopes on any particular exercise, better to find the activity you really enjoy and do that regularly, get pleasure from it as well as the physical benefits. That will show the best results in your body.

Wrt bikram though, I started doing hot yoga a month ago and am slightly addicted! I am very fit, do lots of kickboxing and weight training/HIIT. I am strong and flexible but have very tight upper back/shoulders and chest from weights/boxing. So this year was the year I was determined to find a form of yoga I enjoyed (after a few failed attempts years ago smile). The class I do is a less hardcore version of Bikram (FierceGrace) and I love it but its not easy, I wouldn't recommend it if you are really unfit or very overweight. It is challenging, no question about it. Proper Bikram is hotter and more relentless as I understand it so maybe start off with some non-hot yoga to get used to the work without the heat to start off? I didn't really need to lose weight but have definitely noticed my tummy is flatter, think I have lost 2-3lbs - could just be water weight from copious sweating however!!

MetellaEstMater Sun 27-Apr-14 18:35:56

I've just discovered Bikram and am hooked! I've tried other yoga classes over the years and always found my mind wondering after ten minutes or so. I find the Bikram classes require so much concentration and introspection that doesn't happen.

I'm quite fit (do a lot of HIIT) but am 16 weeks postnatal so not anywhere near peak fitness. I'm hoping the yoga will balance out my training. I'm also on the 5:2 way of eating and enjoyed the Bikram class I did on my last fast day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now