Advice on running with a buggy

(7 Posts)
isisisis Mon 17-Mar-14 15:52:22

I've bought a running pushchair from eBay & am starting couch to 5km, has anyone got any advice?
I've read a little bit about trying to keep posture upright & not slumping over. I've just about got the hang of steering with the fixed wheels.
Would you say running with the pushchair is easier/harder than without? I've signed up for a 5km to do on my own but will have to do all the training with DD as DH will be at work. I don't want to end up with a massive shock when running without her.

pootlebug Mon 17-Mar-14 22:10:28

I run both with a buggy and without - without is definitely easier!

Stick close-ish to the buggy so that you're not bending your back over. Try and engage your core muscles - especially when pushing uphill.

The great thing about running with a buggy is that when you get a chance to run without it it feels so easy!

Haahoooo Mon 17-Mar-14 22:19:30

I agree running without is much easier so running with the buggy is good training in a way.

You're doing the right thing thinking about posture. It took me a while to figure out what what most comfortable in terms of height of handle etc. Also find a good route with not too many sharp bends (too much steering gets tiring for the arms).

Good luck! Chances are your DD will love coming along for runs!

isisisis Tue 18-Mar-14 06:32:50

Thank you for replying. I'm glad to hear without is easier, so if I can work up to 5km with her, I'll be ok for my race without.
I picked a pretty straight route this time without really thinking but now you've pointed it out I'll make sure I do in future. The steering is hard to get used to, I feel like I'm driving a tank. I don't know if the handles adjust, will have to have a search. I got it 2nd hand so no manual & I can't find a brand name on it. It looks quite like the BOB revolution I've seen in mothercare. I might pop in & get them to give me a demo of that one to see if there's anything I've missed.
Definitely need to think about engaging core if I've still got one I'm joining post natal Pilates today to help with that as well.
How far can you go before little one gets fed up? Have you got a rain cover? I bought a john lewis universal 3 wheeler one but it's awful. I might as well just throw a shower curtain over the top. The BOB ones really expensive when I don't know if it'll fit. Any suggestions?

Haahoooo Tue 18-Mar-14 07:57:15

Post-natal Pilates sounds great!

I found I got tired of running before DD got bored with being in the buggy grin. About 30-40 minutes or so.

I bought mine on eBay too but it came with a rain cover. Haven't really used it though as DD gets very grumpy with rain covers generally. Now that's she's bigger if it is only drizzling a little bit she is fine in her waterproof overall with the canopy (?) over her but I generally avoid running in the rain anyway!

Would they have second hand BOB rain covers on eBay?

cathpip Tue 18-Mar-14 08:07:07

I have run 10 miles and my dc have not got bored yet smile. Pack a drink and a snack and they will quite happily look at the surrondings, wave at the traffic or fall asleep! (Or shout at you to run faster mummy)If you have fixed wheels just tilt it on to the back wheels for steering round things, and yes when you run without a buggy you do feel like your flying, oh and it also works wonders for your upper arms!!!!!

isisisis Tue 18-Mar-14 08:55:44

10miles - wow! That's really impressive. The BOB rain covers are about £40 on eBay, it's ridiculous. Think I'll go & look interested in the one they've got in mothercare & check out the rain cover on that. I just want one for emergencies.
I have to go to postnatal Pilates as I've accidentally started the class! We have a local pool/gym that's a community enterprise. I was chatting to a man, who turns out to be on the board, after baby swimming & I said if they want to get more people in during the day target the mums & baby's as there's not a lot on this side of the city. He asked me to email him a few suggestions/details of what's currently on & they'd think about it.
Next thing I know, they've got a load of free mum & baby taster sessions going on & can I put the word out. I think I've got a decent crowd together for them so hopefully it'll take off. I'd like to make it clear I am NOT responsible for naturist night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now