Rapha Women's 100 (cycling challenge)

(228 Posts)
Velorider Fri 14-Mar-14 16:03:52

Has anyone heard of this or doing it??
It's a worldwide event taking place on the same day (July the 20th) where women will cycle 100km. I've just signed up via strava.

Has anyone else signed up? It would be great to create a support group on here, to swap training tips, snack ideas and just general stuff.

I'm a pretty proficient cyclist but only cycle about 40 miles in one to due to kids etc. So sign in, sign up and let's swap stories!

Velorider Tue 18-Mar-14 09:23:50

I'd love to cycle for miles somewhere flat and warm. Instead I get hellish coastal winds, scottish hills and rain! Mind you, the views are stunning wink

Did you make it out this morning ssmile? It's raining here which is no surprise, so yet another day passes by. Between schools drop off, nursery pick up, school pick up and after school clubs, I won't be done until 7. Plus work in between all that.

ATB I use map my walk and used to use map my ride too. Both really good. Strava has the edge of feeding my slight competitive streak though.

Oh ssmile and pipkin I understand - my DD (2.4) wakes at least twice a night and is rarely up for the day beyond 5am. She's a worse sleeper than this time last year - another reason I think I'm finding training harder this time around. I'm going to get out on the bike tomorrow - both DC are in daycare on weds so trying to get all the boring jobs done so I can fit in a 25mile ride at some point

Velorider Tue 18-Mar-14 14:24:52

My dd is almost 5. She started sleeping all night 3 months ago. It was a long four years! You know what tires her out???? Cycling!! wink

annieshaf Tue 18-Mar-14 23:18:44

Hi
I managed to get Strava connecting to my garmin. You just upload as you would with garmin connect, it's dead easy. But then you just get stats overload. My regular 21 mile routes has loads of segments that other people have input so it instantly compared me to all the other local strava users - eek

Managed to motivate myself to get out this morning despite the rain and the wind. Was never going to break any records but did a reasonable time for my regular route.

America - I know what you mean about planning your time around your rides, I have been working till 11pm tonight so that I could cycle during the day whilst the boys are at school.

Velo - I think strava will feed my competitive side as well, I can't wait to get my new bike on Thursday (I hope) and then get out to see if it makes any difference.

Pipkin- it's very hilly round here as well but then it's all good training! Does make me think what a holiday in holland might be like though. Would be a walk in the park!

SSmile - home your little one sleeps well and you can get another long ride in soon.

Have a busy three days now with work so other than taking new bike out for a spin don't think I will be doing much until the weekend. With a bit of look the weather will improve and will be able to get out with the boys for a bit.

Velorider Wed 19-Mar-14 12:00:04

Hi Annie, that sounds good. I will remember that. Although all my rides are uploaded to garmin though, I never store for long on the actual device.
I hope you enjoy your new bike. I've got my eye on a couple of bikes I would love but finances are not allowing.

I was going to head out today, just got some new DHB kit, which I have never tried before and I have to say tis quite good! But the winds are hitting 30mph so I would love the tailwind but would never actually manage in the headwind. So another day of no cycling! Might dust of the trainer and do some indoors.

Pipkinhartley Wed 19-Mar-14 16:43:30

Hey Annie, do you see what I mean about strava bringing out a competitive side you never thought you had! You'll be analysing those segment times like a strava pro before long! You did well to get out today in the wind and rain - that's half the battle I guess. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the new bike.
Velo, glad to hear you dd is now sleeping through, new kit sounds good and don't blame you for not going out inthe wind today - I (stupidly) went out last month during the nasty weather thinking it wasn't too bad but an hour into my ride the weather got worse very quickly and I ended up getting blown off by a side wind on a junction. Knee and ankle recovered quickly enough, pride took a little longer!
Weather wasn't too bad down here, light winds but nice and bright so managed to get out for an hour and a half, hopefully will manage another one before the weekend.

ssmile Wed 19-Mar-14 21:57:16

Made it in to work Tuesday on the bike and back but been tired today. Got home with 25mins to spare beforeccollecting my DDs from childcare and promptly fell asleep for 20mins! Not done that for a long time smile luckly I'd set my phone alarm woke up with a start! My first DD didn't sleep through until 5 and she was at school being worn out. Luckly DD2 has been a dream in comparison and most nights does 10hrs straight but has just been a bit poorly lately coughing all night so we've had week of disturbed sleep.
I've been finding pot holes on the bike a nightmare here. I've got a new bike with slimmer road tyres - still hybrid not racing ones but they SO bumpy on holes. With the shadows from the sun on the road its hard to miss all the pot holes when going at speed. Feel scared gonna fly over handlebars! Its been such a wet winter in SW the B-roads are awful.
Have been trying to plan out some cycle time over next few weeks and been looking at OS map to see how I can extend the route I did at weekend. Exciting but just worried about finding time to get on my bike especially as DH wants to get out on his now.

Velorider Thu 20-Mar-14 07:25:03

Good morning all. It's officially the first day of spring. And we have gale force winds up in Scotland. Typical!!

Was off out this morning for a ride, wind or no wind, but dd has developed conjunctivitis so no nursery which means I can't go anywhere. Will train indoors today.

Pip I know what you mean about pride taking longer to heel after a fall. I recently went clipless and have had a few "mishaps". Embarrassing to say the least!

Ssmile, yep my DP wants to cycle too now so finding time just became harder! But I am out tomorrow, sat and Sunday. Plan 3x 20 mile rides so I won't be gone too long and we can both go out.

Can I ask what you all carry your spare stuff in for longer rides? I have a backpack but I get all sweaty. So ordered a large saddle bag to keep spare inner tubes, tyre levers, rain jacket and snacks in. Not sure how well it will work though!

Pipkinhartley Thu 20-Mar-14 15:57:10

Hi Velo, not been able to spare any time to get out today and probably would have been in two minds as it's really windy here to today. Should be able to book a couple of hours tomorrow hopefully.
For longer rides I've got a saddle pouch and keep spare inner tube, tyre lever, multi tool and co2 canister. There's a spare Promax meal bar in there to, but it's an in case of emergency type thing as has been there since last September!
How's riding going for everyone else?

Velorider Fri 21-Mar-14 11:53:39

Well I just toke over two hours to do 20 miles. I cycled into a headwind of 30mph which was painful! But I just went slow and steady. The wind here isn't going anywhere so it was a choice of doing it, or not getting out at all.

Needless to say the ride back was three times as quick and great fun! Glad I have been out. Fingers crossed for 40 miles on Sunday.

How's everyone else getting on?

Velorider Fri 21-Mar-14 11:54:09

Toke = took blush

Morning everyone - so jealous of you all getting out so much, I really need to make an effort to do even short rides and I feel like such a wimp hearing you brave winds and rain. God I used to cycle through all weathers in London, I am utterly spoilt with the weather here and moan about headwinds! Although it can get horribly hot in the summer on the bike and the roads offer no shelter so you absolutely have to carry factor 50 suncream.

Velo those headwinds sound immense! so much better having headwinds on the way and tail winds on the way back though.

We start sleep training tonight (I've been up since 4:15am this morning with DD) so I doubt I'll get out this weekend but am def booking in decent ride up the canyons on Wednesday, prob about 40miles. I've registered for my first century this year on 5th April so have told DH I'll be out next Sunday to get 50miles under my belt, then the weekend after the century it's a 75mile "day on the ride" when ALC sets up a training ride fully supported with lunch and rest stops like the actual ride in the summer. It's tougher than the century though with a huge hill or two - the century is pretty flat as a nice introduction to doing a full day of riding.

I have two pouches attached to my bike - front one holds snacks, suncream, shot blocks and has a tiny bit of room for arm warmers when they come off - back one sits under my saddle and has just enough room for two inner tubes and tyre irons. I don't normally carry a pump or canisters but probably should. I generally bike with others and if on a proper training ride there are TRL's who carry pumps, if not then I bike south along the beach communities where there is never a bike shop too far away

Pipkinhartley Fri 21-Mar-14 16:47:57

ATB, that's an impressive training schedule, and I was sympathising with you re training in the intense heat until I read about the biking south in the beach communities! Seriously though, your planned rides should give your training a boost and the ALC training ride sounds pretty fab.

Impressed with your ride out in the wind today Velo, was windy here, but nowhere near 30 mile headwinds! Was gusting somewhere close to that yesterday so I wimped out. Managed just shy of 27 miles today, trying to build on maintaining a consistent pace.

See the Rapha 100 website is growing, I'm waiting to hear from the ride that's showing as closest to me regarding joining criteria, anyone else starting to make enquiries?

Velorider Fri 21-Mar-14 17:13:31

ATB that is impressive! I'm rubbish in heat and hoping training will help me cope with summer. Even scottish summers have me in factor 50 blush. I'm aiming to do my first century after the rapha ride. Thought the rapha ride is a metric century if that counts wink good luck with the sleep training. It's exhausting!

Pip sounds good! I'm trying to go a little further every time I go out, even if it's just a mile or two more than the ride before. Heading out again tomorrow. Winds are still up near the 20mph but not as bad as today.

I don't think there are any rapha rides near me so I am creating my own going out with a small group of friends who have signed up to do it.

Thistledew Fri 21-Mar-14 17:49:49

Hello all. I recognise some names from the Peddlers [sic] thread.

Can I join too?

I might be up for the Rapha 100, although DH and I have now started TTC, so who knows what I will be up for in July. If I am still cycling then, I will probably try to organise a 'women only' ride with my cycle club on that day.

I must admit I am anxiously looking at the forecast for this weekend. The last one was so glorious, it would be a real drag to go back to wind and rain.

Thistledew Fri 21-Mar-14 17:58:51

Velo - re your query for carrying things whilst cycling - if you wear a proper cycling jersey, it is amazing how much stuff you can carry in the back pockets.

On a normal Sunday ride I carry:

mobile phone, cash and credit card in a small ortlieb pouch
cafe covers for the cleats on my shoes
small coffee stop lock
a Leyzen pouch containing: spare inner tube, tyre levers, cannister, multitool
Small hand pump
Inhalers for my asthma
a couple of energy gels

All in the three back pockets of my jersey!

Last Sunday I started off with way too many clothes on so also managed to stuff in a my base layer top and gillet that I had taken off! I was accused of looking like I was going camping though.

Other alternatives to a saddle bag are to use a spare bottle if you have two bottle cages.

Velorider Fri 21-Mar-14 18:43:01

Hi thistle! Yep the more that join the better!

Yes when the weather is better I intend to use my pockets much more. But as it is I need a wind breaker or a rain jacket, neither of which would fasten up if I were to fill my pockets. However the saddle bag I got isn't to larfe, carries everything it seems with room for a sandwhich too! I ride a merida Juliet and there is only enough room on the frame for one bottle cage, so I am gonna mount one on the handle bars.

Will try it put tomorrow and see how I go. Those three pockets are great though! I have several Jerseys. In fact, I have had to dedicate more of my wardrobe to cycling gear. It's quite ridiculous. Is that just me??

ssmile Fri 21-Mar-14 21:01:20

I've got a handle bar bag which I got 4yrs ago in a French supermarket. Its been brill I use it for my work commute as can get phones passcards lock money sandwiches&tools etc in it. My DH uses a waterbottle to carry his tool kit n money.
No more cycling for me this wk. My DD got conjunctivitis too &both got colds which they now given me. I'm off to bed early hoping by Sunday I have more energy to do a ride. Weather pants ere tonight very wet n windy so hopefully it be better tom.

My packs are kinda small packs that trap to the top bar so don't get in the way - would that kind of thing work? And yes jersey pockets are brilliant!

Velorider Fri 21-Mar-14 21:30:47

This is an image (not my actual bike but same make and size). You can see the frame doesn't lend itself to much room. I think pockets will be grande for shorter trips, and the saddle bag I got will do for day rides (not there yet anyway). Good tip about using a spare water bottle for extras too though! I like that! I knew this thread would be useful!

Thanks all! My handle bar also has a garmin in the centre, my light and soon a spare water bottle as there is no room on the frame. All to save carrying a backpack! Does anyone use a camelbak? Or do you just carry extra water in your pockets for long rides?

ssmile Sat 22-Mar-14 06:51:36

I've a handle bar extender which my light &computer sits on. Its like a big T that clips to front bars so that I could still get my hanflebar bag on. I've used camelbag when overseas and no one around for miles but in UK not so much as normally a cornershop I can restock at if run out. I have a new bike so I may look at how I can get another water bottle on but my bike looks very similar ti yours Velo and there isn't a second set of fixing bolts for another bottle hmmmm I'm guessing that rules out a 2nd bottle? (On phone cant vorrect typos!)

loving the idea of using the second bottle for storage

gutted - it's the perfect morning for a ride but I'm on DC duty after DH spent all night up sleep training DD booooooooooooooooo

Velorider Sat 22-Mar-14 15:46:21

Oh no ATB. I hate it when that happens. Perfect weather but no escape. I did a rubbish 7 miles today. Think pedalling into the wind yesterday has hurt my legs. I feel normal walking etc but as soon as I headed into the wind again, everything felt it. I hope you get out tomorrow!

Ssmile, you can get handlbar mounting water bottles, would that be any use? Or am I missing the point that your handlebars are already quite crowded? I wish I had room for two cages under mine. As anything above 20 miles and I need 2/3 water bottles in any kind of heat.

Thistledew Sat 22-Mar-14 16:47:49

Velo - as your bike is far more of a mountain bike style, I would just use a camelbak. They are used far more by mtb riders for the same reasons as you experience, and also that if you are going off road bottles in cages would just fall out. I have a camelbak that holds about 1.5ltr, and also has a small pouch but is still quite slimline.

I usually just take out two 750ml bottles, which do me for most rides. Last Sunday I had drained both of them by the end of a 70 mile 5hr ride, but on hotter days I would make sure to top up half way round. Either at a cafe if out with my cycling club, or at water points on an organised ride.

Thistledew Sat 22-Mar-14 16:54:06

You can also get mounts for bottles that attach to your saddle.

Dual ones as well.

bar mount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now