Anyone else joined a gym with NO results? Why??

(51 Posts)
shivari Thu 13-Mar-14 22:42:29

I joined a gym in January and have been going twice a week since. While I'm there I do circuits mixing up strength and cardio. I push myself and don't take it easy. I do a solid 1hr 15 each time I go.

I'm getting fed up now because I've had NO results - my weight and measurements are EXACTLY the same.

By my reckoning I've gone 20 times so that's 25 continuous hours of exercise! Why hasn't it done a thing?!

peeveddoesntcoverit Fri 14-Mar-14 07:52:57

Is it your diet maybe? I found when I first started running I would subconsciously eat more during the day as I'd 'earned it'.

Or perhaps you're just toning up?Are you the same weight and measurements but just not as wobbly? grin

shivari Fri 14-Mar-14 09:16:17

I'm using mfp and sticking to no more than 1600 cals a day (generally!), so I'd like to think the diet isn't too bad. My job means that I'm on my feet half the day anyway so I'm active, my diet is fair, at least, and I'm exercising!!

I am despairing that I will ever lose weight!! sad

shivari Fri 14-Mar-14 11:00:40

Bump because I'm getting desperate!

Trooperslane Fri 14-Mar-14 11:02:39

Um. Not sure. maybe because I didn't go wink

Trooperslane Fri 14-Mar-14 11:03:21

Sorry, not helpful.

Do they have a trainer you can talk to?

Hi Shivari. Cardio is good for fitness and burning far but you don't need to do more than twenty minutes as a warm up - go on to strength and do all excercise with weights. As a woman you do not have the testosterone levels to start bulking and look manly. By lifting weights you will be building muscle and burning fat, just by having more muscle your metabolic rate will go up and you will be burning fat throughout the day. Do not watch the scale when strength training as muscle weighs more than fat but measures smaller. Try and stay away from white carbs and gluten and ear metabolism boosting foods such as plain bio live yoghurt for breakfast. Fruit is OK, but try not to have too much as it is still sugar. Protein will help you to build muscle, tone up and burn fat - it doesn't have to be all in meat form - eggs and nakd bars are my main sources of protein at the moment - I drink warm water with lemon every morning to digest my foods easily throughout the day - also green tea is amazing for weight loss. Hope that helps

Rooble Fri 14-Mar-14 11:09:42

Are you being totally honest with yourself on MFP? I'm quite good at overestimating my portion sizes and therefore eating more than I think. Also at polishing off ends of bread, inhaling the occasional biscuit etc.....
Also, have you had any advice on how hard to push yourself? There are some beautifully made up women at my gym who can spend an hour or 90 minutes on a range of machines and at the end of that session have barely broken a sweat - so the activity is fairly pointless. A personal trainer for a few weeks can really push you and make a massive difference

Also to add to my post my fitness Pal is a great food logging diary so you are aware of exactly how much you are eating. You should be eating your weight times ten so if you are 140lbs you should eat no more than 1400
Calories a day and if you include excercise in your day you will be burning more calories than you are consuming = guaranteed weight loss. You do not want to be losing more than 2lb a week. 2lb a week is healthy anything more you are
Most likely losing muscle

Suzannewithaplan Fri 14-Mar-14 11:26:49

Are you stronger?
Has your cardiovascular efficiency improved?
if so then you have seen some changes.

Just keep at it, early days yet physical activity makes significant changes to metabolic processes but it can take a while for this to manifest as lower body fat.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 14-Mar-14 12:18:16

And how much fat do you have to lose? If already quite lean it can be difficult to get even leaner.

Muscle is almost twice as dense as fat so it's possible to lose fat, gain muscle and weigh the same.

As long as your diet is good then that alone should make you lose weight so if you haven't lost anything it will be down to diet.

I don't think twice a week since January is enough anyway to expect to look much different.

shivari Sat 15-Mar-14 07:05:02

Thank you for your replies. I had my fat measured last week at the gym... And it was 35%... I am utterly appalled!! So I definitely can't be described as lean blush

So strength is the way forward, weights etc? That 'route' is probably the only one I've never tried, have done all the diets and all the fads haha. I'd feel like a right mullet in the free weights zone as it's all filled by bodybuilders, but I could set up a circuit on the weights machines? Or should I buy some free weights and get a Jillian Michaels DVD? I've just been having a look at No more Trouble Zones which looks interesting as it seems to be a very "all over" attack, which is what I need!!

I will double check my portions on mfp but I either weigh everything or use the portions as printed on the packets so I think I'm pretty good with that!

muser31 Sat 15-Mar-14 07:10:11

perhaps you arent eating enough? if you are eating 1600 and burning for example 400 at the gym you are surviving on 1200 a day which is nearly a starvation diet. your body needs food to ramp its metabolism up.

You need to be lifting the heaviest weights you can in order to burn the fat - start off small and when it becomes easier go up in weights - use weights when doing squats and lundges too. Don't work out on an empty stomach and eat a protein rich snack afterwards

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 15-Mar-14 09:26:10

Firstly, twice a week is not enough. You're barely doing enough to maintain your current fitness level. You should be going 5-7 days a week!

Lots of questions...

How old are you? What's your current height/weight? What's MFP?

Do you feel different/are the workouts getting easier now that it's been a couple of months? What exactly do you do? Did you have a personal trainer work out your routine or have you just made it up? Also, how hard are you working? E.g. when you do cardio, do you push yourself until you feel a bit sick and on the verge of a heart attack? ;)

LordEmsworth Sat 15-Mar-14 09:39:32

Two long-ish sessions per week is not enough. Adding in some shorter but more intense sessions would be better. And target your sessions - for example, one long, steady cardio; one strength (free weights, not machines); one short, intense cardio (intervals, hills, etc); one long steady cardio; one strength.

And, as others have said, weight/measurements are not the only measure of improvement.

What is your goal? Losing weight, or getting fitter (not the same thing...). Could you ask one of the gym staff for help? If you're at one of the big chains then that's something that's usually included (though in my experience they're not all great, there's usually one or two who are brilliant). If you're at a smaller independent gym, they may still be happy to help even if it's not an official part of the service.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 15-Mar-14 09:45:29

Two times a week isn't enough to see results.

What is your routine like? I know when I'm feeling lazy that I can fanny about on the cross trainer, kid myself 'oh I've been here 2 hours I can go now' but I haven't really broken a sweat.

The general rule is- if you're not leaving red, sweaty and broken each time, you're not doing it properly.

shivari Sat 15-Mar-14 09:48:04

Oh gosh I'm glad I posted now! I've been doing this all wrong haven't I blush

Ok, vitals stats time:

Weight: 11 and a half stone
Height : 5'5

I thought you had to do lots of cardio to burn off the fat as there's no point doing strength on your muscles if they're hidden under rolls of fat!!?

I honestly do push myself at the gym. I turn my music up loud, and really go for it - red faced sweaty - the works. I never thought I'd enjoy it but I love it - I feel like I'm a champion after - which is why I am so gutted that it's all not working.

I generally do 15 mins at 5 stations, so it could be elliptical, stationary bike, krank cycle (works the arms and shoulders), ab coaster (5 x10 reps), and so on, mix and match each time.

I also have a pedometer and manage 10,000 steps most days. I don't drive so walk everywhere.

I'm pretty skint right now so can't afford a personal trainer. The gym is pay as you go hence why I was thinking No more trouble zones at home to complement it? I wouldn't mind investing in some hand weights??

blush that I am such a newbie and thanks to everyone for your advice smile

maillotjaune Sat 15-Mar-14 10:00:49

I'd love to be able to go 5-7 times a week but work and children make it impossible.

However - the last time I was a gym member (years ago, before children) I also though lots of CV exercise was the thing to do. Got fitter in terms of being able to cycle or swim longer / faster, but with very little change to weight.

This time (been going since start Dec) I was shown round by a PT who gave me a quick bit of advice on how to train (this was just the 15 minute welcome so free) and I do a 20 minute warm up (cross trainer, bike, treadmill or row usually 10 mins on 2 machines or I get bored) then 30-40 mins on weights machines and sit-ups at the end.

I noticed a difference after a month. I usually manage 3 times a week and am in there for about 75 minutes plus the occasional swim after if time. I can move bigger weights than when I started and I feel great.

I've yet to lose weight actually but I'm down a size in jeans and feel much more toned.

shivari Sat 15-Mar-14 10:25:33

How about getting a kettlebell to use at home? Would that count as a good weights/strength exercise?

Ideally what you want to do is between 20-30
Mins cardio at low intensity for two minutes then completely push yourself for one minute to the best of yout ability keep doing this - it's the best cardio you can do also it makes it less boring and it means your less likely to ache the next day - Then spend the rest of your session weight training it is a myth that there is no point in weight training if there is fat - it is the best way to burn that fat! The best thing with weight training is you can do it at home for a one off cost of buying some weights and you could do an interval DVD To warm your muscles up. You don't even need the gym but it's whether you enjoy getting out of the house which I do! But you could keep going your 2 days then just do the rest at home.

shivari Sat 15-Mar-14 13:45:02

Yes I love getting out too! Ok, I'm off to search for some weight sets on amazon!

So we are thinking two days at the gym and then 4/5 at home? No wonder nothing's been working!!

shivari Sat 15-Mar-14 15:12:48

Does anyone have a recommendation for what size weights I should be using/getting?

Suzannewithaplan Sat 15-Mar-14 17:55:28

generally speaking it's best to use a weight that allows you to do 8-15 reps of whatever exercise/movement you are doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now