Runners thread - runners of all abilities welcome

(1000 Posts)
Sirzy Mon 03-Mar-14 07:53:21

As the first thread ( http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/1948631-Is-there-a-general-running-thread? ) is now pretty much full time for a new one.

Thread for anyone who runs no matter how fast or slow or how long you run for to discuss all things running!

HalleLouja Sat 05-Apr-14 09:25:11

Waves at all the newbies.

youbethemummylion Sat 05-Apr-14 10:27:39

youbethemummylion Sat 05-Apr-14 10:31:47

Ill try again Hallelouja thats fab well done! I love it when you finish a run thinking hmmm I could have gone further. Just back from my first ParkRun it was fantastic so friendly and everyone was very encouraging. Forgot to push the button in my garmin as I crossed the line so just waiting for the results to be posted. I did get carried along with the crowd at the beginning and paid for it later so dont think it will be a PB for me.

ThursdayLast Sat 05-Apr-14 11:54:20

Hiya everybody, hope you all had a good parkrun experience thus morning!
I took my sister, who is not really a runner but would like to be and we did 37.17 (my time, not sure what hers is yet). Was fun, v relaxing for me felt like I hardly broke a sweat. Affirmed my fitness for me grin

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 05-Apr-14 12:21:06

Ran 7.5 miles today along the beach front while DP surfed and the GP babysat smile. Annoyingly i was fine stamina wise and could have gone longer but my thighs were so sore! Seems to be my usual problem that my muscles give in before my stamina does! Any tips?

Cold and windy here today.

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 13:32:39

Only managed 3k today. Seemed like one of those real struggle runs but don't think not running for a week has helped. Shins are sore now so I hope I'm not about to get some issues with them.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Sat 05-Apr-14 17:57:18

Ooh park runs sound interesting, I'll check that out smile. Did 5.4kms today, a few minutes faster than a week ago so am happy with that

originalpiratematerial Sat 05-Apr-14 18:05:09

I bet your next run will be awesome though, Sirzy smile

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 18:08:37

I hope so pirate. Easter hols now so I'm sure I'm not the only one who will struggle to fit it in.

originalpiratematerial Sat 05-Apr-14 18:17:28

Theonlyone, I guess you could do some strength work to build up your thighs, glutes etc? I've never run further than 7.5 miles myself, but my running has improved over the last few months since I've been going to the gym as well.

Well done Hallelouja and youbethemummylion. Hope your sister enjoyed it ThursdayLast!

No tips I'm afraid theonlyoneiknow.

Hope you're shins are ok sirzy!!!

PolkaSpottyDotty Sat 05-Apr-14 19:52:20

Ugh. Today's run hurt. And it was only teeny tiny.

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 05-Apr-14 19:58:36

Weights would help, thanks original. Finding time though is so hard! I squeeze runs in mainly after DC in bed (work FT), at,best would manage one gym srssion a week but will look into home Training as that is,easier to get after!

I used to do a lot of climbing and surfing pre DC but canonly manage running now, not all bad tho!

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 20:36:44

They are feeling ok now thanks Cinnamon so hoping it was just a blip!

Oh dear Polka, hope your ok now?

Theonly, if you look on the fitness blender website you might fight something which fits with what your after. I hve been doing some yoga workouts from there a few times a week

PolkaSpottyDotty Sat 05-Apr-14 20:45:53

My legs feel tight and sore, but not too bad. I'm on a bloody bike all day tomorrow so it's only going to get worse!

Is it ok to run every day on C25K?

C25k recommends rest days, I think I did a few consecutive if I couldn't fit a run in otherwise but generally ran every other day.

Jeregrette Sat 05-Apr-14 21:03:32

Theonly "Seems to be my usual problem that my muscles give in before my stamina does! Any tips?"

This is happening to me at the moment- very frustrating. My muscles start to stiffen and tighten up when I get to 6 miles so I can't increase my long runs at the moment. My aerobic fitness is getting better and better though.

I blame my old bones! I do know that if you are overtraining, your body can complain with muscle stiffness but I'm going to google this tonight.

PolkaSpottyDotty Sat 05-Apr-14 21:22:08

I've done a couple of consecutive days and found it easier to go out the next day, whereas today followed a rest day and I had to drag myself out. Tiredness may have played a part in this (18mo who wanted to play at 5am!!!)

Blatherskite Sat 05-Apr-14 21:30:21

No parkrun for me today as I had to be somewhere else but I've got an exciting few weekends coming up to make up for it. I'm going to be visiting ThursdayLast's parkrun next week, RD training the week after and then a couple of inaugural parkruns coming up too which I'm hoping to visit. Hoping to add another test parkrun to my Freedom lit too as we have a trial run of a new local course.

Have just sent a message to a lady I know who has gone to the Sahara Desert to run the Marathon des Sables this week. I watched the program on TV last week which followed James Cracknell when he did it and am even more in awe of how another Mum just like me could even contemplate it!

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 21:43:15

I have just looked on the parkrun website and a parkrun has opened locally! Woo hoo!

Wont be able to go every week but at least its an option and a chance to meet other runners

ThursdayLast Sat 05-Apr-14 21:45:27

Sirzy, that is such great news!
My parkrun only started this year, but it's so lovely. My sister today said she could understand why I go every week.
I hope you enjoy it smile

pootlebug Sat 05-Apr-14 21:54:48

My local Parkrun isn't all that local so I've never been, but I'll be up at my parents next Sat morning and it appears there is one very near them so I think I might head there.

Short run today as DD2 had a truly crappy nights sleep so I couldn't face getting up early for a longer one. So tried to push the pace instead of the distance. Didn't quite match Thursdays 5km in 25.01 but not too far off. I'm getting better at focussing on technique to pick the pace up....just have to make it more consistent, and for more than 5km at a time.

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 22:00:49

It is, I have already registered, and found them on facebook and twitter. Shame I didn't find out last night so I could have gone today!

Pootle, keep an eye out. Until this one started my closest was about 30 min drive away but this one is only 10 mins away

ThursdayLast Sat 05-Apr-14 22:03:24

Oh my local one IS a half hour away, but I only have one direction in which to travel!
The next one us ANOTHER half hour!
But they are getting do popular now they'll be popping up everywhere (I hope, would live a choice)

Blatherskite Sat 05-Apr-14 22:05:30

parkrun is great. It can get addictive though. I rearranged hotels for my holiday next week so that I could go to Thursday's! It would be a 4.5 hour drive to do it otherwise.

This thread is not accepting new messages.