Questions about pole...

(154 Posts)
Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 07:20:29

So. I was wondering why people can't seem to be able to put pole in two seperate boxes. Strippers who can't even invert properly and just rub their crotch against the pole, and people who do it properly. Athletes. Is it really so difficult? No-one bats an eyelid at aerial hoop or silks when it's really just the same thing.

I've never met a 'proper' pole dancer who doesn't look down their nose at strippers. Strippers are turned away from classes in disgust. Classes are taken in bare feet and gym clothes, not thigh high leather boots and little else.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be very happy to answer them.

polealltheway Thu 04-Sep-14 23:44:37

Oh can I join grin I love pole and I have just bought one and I will be putting it up in the next few days, any tips on how to know if it's up correctly?

I feel a little scared that I might fall and injure myself when at home alone confused

MistressMouse Sat 16-Aug-14 17:18:47

Oh joy, a pole forum!!
I'm pole-ing just 8 weeks. My teacher is a world champion (am in Ireland) and she is an inspiration. She did a doubles routine on BGT few months back.
So, I've just cracked the Sailor Moon (think also known as Hood Ornament) and my next 2 tricks are Cupid (hard) and Half Flag (yikes).
Any tips on Half Flag, my boobs are getting in the way?

Look forward to talking to you all.

If I am just banging out a jade then I would just do it from the knee hook and then tuck other leg to my and then straighten out.......i go into it on spinny from gemini as I feel a bit more controlled as I dont really like taking the leg off the pole if I feel I am going too fast.

I extend my front leg first and pull on the foot as I then extend my other leg back all the time tucking my head as near to my knee on the front leg as possible. I have a lovely photo of my jade, think I have put it in this thread somewhere, lol.

Betty - what's your preferred way to jade? do you enter jade from gemini - tuck/pike hip hold?
Or another way? And do you extend front leg first pull toes to nose across chest, then develope the back leg, or do you extend back first then front (so jade from duchess)?

^^ that's wrt spinning freestyle. I don't dance on static any more now, everything is on spin. I only lock my home pole to check it over!
One studio has poles generally set on spin too, the other is static unless it's a spin class, and Sunday pole jam is whatever you like (so spin for me smile )

Ha ha every single freestyle I do contains
Pencil into passé legs/dolphin
Embrace/one arm embrace
Swan/drama queen probably into hands free cross ankle release
Tuck/bomb into cross knee release
Aeriel invert into gemini into butterfly.
Some sort of hip hold move.
Some sort of plank variation.

It makes no difference what the music is, whether it's fast or slow, they will appear every.single.time.
Because I can do them easily and control the spin to the music and style them to look pretty.

Trouble with new moves/advanced stuff for me is I can't get in and out of it smoothly during a dance: have to fidget and huff. Jade for example: I can't get into it fast or as a combo yet and so it has yet to make it into a dance because it will never fit the music.

Flat jade......grab your foot rather than your calf area for a flatter look (sorry you may already be doing that).

Both sides?? You are very good.........I tend to just practice my tricks on my strongest side although its good to do them both sides.

Slow spinny sounds good.....embrace on spinny is lovely and I love the pencil hold on spinny too smile

Pole going slow spin for safety reasons!

Flat jade (nearly there), and general freestyle/flow stuff mostly. Trying to go back to basics and get really smooth and solid both sides before more new tricks as new pole is still not fully broken in so doing stuff without a spotter is dangerous. Everything now done spinning, aerial and both sides where possible.

Next tricks will be Ayesha and handspring stuff I guess. But more about dance and if I can't make it pretty it goes on back burner

Well done Trucks - how fast was the pole spinning - I don't like Jade on spinny if it's too fast as I don't like taking the leg back if I feel I am gonna fly off, lol.

Not learning much at the moment, been doing loads of teaching cover so been too tired. I did go to a Daniel Rosen masterclass last weekend which was brilliant - inspired to start working on Pheonix (no chance), double reverse grab (doable with a lot of practice) and the front cup handspring which I marginally prefer to the elbow grip handspring.

What are you working on at the moment?

Got jade on spin woo hoo!
How's everyone's poling going?

Haha! Trucks we need to combine talents - with your spins and my tricks we will be an awesome double act - you can spin spin spin to your hearts content smile

Forever - the fun starts now! One you start inverting the pole world is your oyster.

Yay! It is the start of much excitement!
Although [whispers in case Betty is listening] I will always be a spin woman at heart. Spinning on spin pole: makes me so happy.

foreverlexicon Sat 21-Jun-14 04:42:29

Just the basic one I think? It basically like an upside down climb position with the pole in my armpit so I could take my hands off?

It was much easier than I expected anyway! Still very excited from it haha!

Sarah Scott is awesome <jealous>

Here is (one of) my amazing teachers...Latin dance star turned pole acrobat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pFzeqFG68y4

Sarah Scott is awesome <jealous>

Yay! What invert did you do?

foreverlexicon Fri 20-Jun-14 07:54:42

I did my first invert yesterday! Still on a major high from it, feel like I've passed a right of passage :D

Thanks Trucks - I do love a shoulder mount.

Went to a Sarah Scott masterclass at the weekend, she was amazing - think I have a bit of a crush on her smile

Betty that was awesome! You are shoulder mount combo queen!

Trucks, that was lovely - I will pm you my routine over so hopefully you will get it smile

www.studioveena.com/videos/view/53990f77-9d28-47ec-bfd5-327a0a9aa0eb

Dunno if you can view if non-member: me breaking in my new pole at home.

Studio Veena does a great '30 days to flight' training series for beginners or returners and you get access to a year's worth of really good lessons from beginner to intermediate to advanced plus conditioning stretching foam rolling and routines so I really recommend it. Is usually 99us dollars but they often have special offers and you can also access their forums where loads of polers hang out, post videos and happily critique or help your moves!

For home polers it's great.
The other thing about home poling is it helps to have structure and to make sure you warm up the pole as well as yourself with walking and climbing and pull up practice with good posture and body alignment before you start dancing or practising spins/tricks. Make sure you work on both sides and train different muscle groups different days. Having a plan and concentrating on good form is so important to prevent injury - pole is a hard gymnastic discipline.

Betty I would love to see your pm!
Good as you look fab well done!
I can share my 1st freestyle on new pole vid later; still breaking pole in so it is not trick-heavy and the choreo is a bit scrappy as it was very slippy and hot!

milewalker Mon 16-Jun-14 18:00:38

I've now got a beginners dvd and am following that and am quite impressed with the spins i can already do as well as doing pull ups and push ups. I say pull ups but I can only do it with the help of a bike inner tube to take some of my weight. I will be tubeless by the end of the summer I hope.
will look into online classes next.

Floor facing can be ok.......depending on what is holding me to the pole, haha smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now