Questions about pole...

(154 Posts)
Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 07:20:29

So. I was wondering why people can't seem to be able to put pole in two seperate boxes. Strippers who can't even invert properly and just rub their crotch against the pole, and people who do it properly. Athletes. Is it really so difficult? No-one bats an eyelid at aerial hoop or silks when it's really just the same thing.

I've never met a 'proper' pole dancer who doesn't look down their nose at strippers. Strippers are turned away from classes in disgust. Classes are taken in bare feet and gym clothes, not thigh high leather boots and little else.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be very happy to answer them.

Heh heh smile

Amazing....some great strength training going on there, got some good ideas from it smile

I wish to share Dominic Lacasse with you all.

I can now do full Western flag both legs straight and parallel pole in armpit etc but this guy...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIuqXsXRzw

Well, just enjoy it smile

And here he is jumping about a bit

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKIQo4WnwTg

PivotPIVOT Mon 17-Mar-14 21:04:09

I love Shimmy! She did a master class at my studio but I couldn't afford to go sad

Bumping.
How's everyone who poles these days?
Any new moves/combos that you're liking?
Any news or victories to share?
I am getting an x-pert 45mm to train on at home woo! and am currently obsessed with sm and ariel machine gun.
smile

Hey trucks - yep poling going well. My instructor is so busy she has opened a new studio of which I instruct once a week (am a qualified fitness instructor anyway) and provide cover if she needs it.

I have the 45 sport at home - doesn't spin but can't say I mind that.

I am working on the ariel twisty hand spring (very frustrating), love anything to do with shoulder mount whether it be bouncing it or doing it one handed.......don't think I am bendy enough for machine gun.

If you are training at home don't forget to invest in a good crash mat smile

One handed sm? Wow - got pics?
Crash mats not a prob - got heaps of big thick rubber floor squares which lock together from DS playroom. Ok they have toy town pics on but they fit round pole nicely and are just the same as the smart grey ones the studio have!
You don't need splits for machine gun: just good flag hold and very warm ham strings smile

goodasitgets Sun 25-May-14 23:12:01

I have just (sort of!) got my butterfly gringringringrin

goodasitgets Sun 25-May-14 23:20:17

Crucifix
instagram.com/p/nG0wAmtd_P/

First butterfly attempt
instagram.com/p/oTLogetd8q/

Not great but it's only been 10 months so I'm getting there!

Woo hoo! Awesome!

instagram.com/p/myCwgrH0lF/

instagram.com/p/myCE3ln0jt/

Good your photos are fab. Once you get the butterfly start extending it, such a lovely move, one of my favs.

Trucks not got any pics of my one handed shoulder mount.....it's done from the floor and you put the other hand down on the floor once you are up - it's much easier from twisty grip as you can really pull yourself up.

Just a couple of recent piccies - proud of my jade split, when I first started it was rubbish but it's getting there now smile

Awesome photos! Am trying to get Instagram to work...can't upload at mo sad

Here is a Bud

Here is me starting to extend into butterfly; the photo was taken before I'd finished extending!

And here is a CKR. I like holding my heel but have to be careful as if I pull on it the ankle straps break! So it's more for effect than stability.

I can't see any photos Trucks?

Oh bum. Not sure why not? Bud now on public profile, apple only lets me upload one pic

Hakluyt Thu 29-May-14 17:25:46

Any particular reason for the high heels?

Yep it was a shoot. So we dressed up.

Hakluyt Thu 29-May-14 19:01:12

Right. Do you not see a bit of an issue there?

Nope.
Would you like to explain to me how I should feel?
I do so love it when people explain to me how I should feel.
I am so incapable of thinking about my body, my feminism, my dance style, my performance choices, my exercise choices, my athleticism all by myself and its not as if I've heard it before or thought about it.

I wore a shit load of glitter and makeup and jewellery for a belly dance show once. If you can talk me through that, perhaps with some references to harems, that would be super as well.

Hakluyt Thu 29-May-14 19:16:59

I have absolutely no wish to tell you how you feel. That's up to you, obviously. However, there is a serious disconnect between assertions that pole is all about fitness and flexibility and bare feel and trackies, and pictures of women wearing 8 inch heels to do it. However fabulous she looks and how amazing the things she can do are.

I am one of the polers that says you can make it what you want. I am currently black and blue from heavy body weight training in shorts and a yoga bra and bare feet. The same shorts and top I'm wearing with the heels.

However I also like to dress up and perform in heels.
Pole is a broad church.
But some people get twitchy about the footwear.
Some people aren't comfortable with the sexy, others love it.
I like sweat, bruises, brute strength and I like glitter and drama.
Each to their own; you find the style and studio that suits you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now