Bored with gym!

(9 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Thu 30-Jan-14 13:12:23

Having rejoined just before Xmas, I've had enough already!

I'm lucky enough to live by the sea and much prefer to be out in the fresh air walking (and going to cycle) but need to carry on the toning and resistance stuff too!

Thinking about a DVD to follow at home - what would you recommend?

Jungfraujoch Thu 30-Jan-14 13:46:57

Forgot to say I do a Pilates class once a week which I love!

ThursdayLast Thu 30-Jan-14 16:20:36

I get bored of DVDs quickly, so I use fitness blender.com to mix it up a bit. Loads of variety, loads of workouts.
The DVDs that have stood the test of time better than others have been Pilates based 10min solutions, but your class will be better than that I expect smile

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 30-Jan-14 16:27:48

What do you do at the gym? Do you work out alone? I go to 5 fitness classes a week, I find working alone in the fitness room a little boring. I just wouldn't have motivation to exercise at home with a DVD.

A class can be good fun and a great way to get to know other people. Our instructor is a hoot although quite demanding, but keeps us motivated and upbeat through the class.
You enjoy pilates- have you thought about trying some other classes?

Jungfraujoch Thu 30-Jan-14 16:36:52

I generally go with a friend who I love dearly but she is a terrible timekeeper and always wants to chat a lot whereas I just want to get on with the workout! Have had personal training in the past but can't really afford that long term.

I just don't like classes (other than Pilates) which I don't do at my gym anyway.

I love walking along the beach (used to run but have dodgy knee now), seeing the waves and feeling the wind in my hair!!!!

If you are bored with the gym you have the wrong programme. You don't need a PT, just get your instructor to change your routine and maybe have a couple going so you are not constantly doing the same thing. I do TRX at our gym and absolutely love it. I mix it up a bit, chuck in some metafit, bootcamp to keep it varied.

If you are bored of the gym you will be bored rigid by a home dvd in no time. So yeah, get a decent programme and you will love it smile

Jungfraujoch Fri 31-Jan-14 18:34:35

Thanks Betty, I have a varied programme and trainer will change whenever I ask him!! TRX, cable work, squats, lunges with weights, interval cycling, abs stuff - you name it I've done it!

I think I just enjoy being outside more!!!

Hogwash Wed 05-Feb-14 15:05:02

Do you go when it is busy? I'm always much more motivated if it is full of other people working hard too.

WeekendsAreTooShort Wed 26-Mar-14 12:44:01

the beachbody workouts are great. I do Insanity, tubofire and sometimes T25. Really feel as if have had a hard workout and seeing a big difference also. cancelled gym membership as this is so much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now